cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Oculus Remote Desktop after update to Meta Quest Remote Desktop

Remote desktop hangs after the most recent update of Oculus Remote Desktop to Meta Quest Remote Desktop.

On Mac OS, the remote desktop doesn't even start properly it continues to hang, crash then restart over and over. 

Uninstalling, reinstalling, restarting doesn't resolve the issue.   

Reports from Meta Quest on Twitter DMs mention there's some sort of issue that's being resolved and to check here in the forums for updates but I'm not seeing anything. 

NathanSudo_0-1661913817136.png

Others in the Horizon Workrooms Community are also reporting similar issues with the Remote Desktop app not loading. 

Please let us know the status and/or if we should just roll back to the previous version.  Windows 11 users have reported it working well but all versions of Mac OS are having issues. 

Thanks!

Host of the Horizon Workrooms Community Meetups
https://facebook.com/groups/horizonworkrooms
54 REPLIES 54

Thanks for the reply, I'm very confused as there was support previously for Mac OS and even efforts to get everything working on M1 / M2  Apple Silicon processors but this is the second time Oculus Support has referred to Windows as if that was the only thing supported.  I'm pretty surprised by this considering you have a link on your site specifically for Mac OS:

CleanShot 2022-09-03 at 01.07.07@2x.png

I realize there's probably a lot of support required right now due to the new Meta accounts migration and these desktop issues but I couldn't find any acknowledgement publicly that there's an issue being worked on so I just wanted to confirm for the benefit of the community who rely on Workrooms.

Thanks for all the efforts by the support team to get this resolved asap!  Please keep us posted on the progress with getting the Mac OS Apple Silicon devices working, if you could, we'd appreciate it. 

Hey @NathanSudo. Thank you for that response. Yes, we were referring to the Meta migration and the issues connected. 

We thank you for your kind words. That's what makes our day! 

And to make your day, here's the link to catch your workroom updates!

Wishing you all the best!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

apstraining
Explorer

All - Good news! The update today to the Meta Quest Remote Desktop for Mac [Version 1.6.0.18.260] solved the Mac M1 compatibility issue on both my Mac Studio and Mac Mini for working in Horizon Workrooms. I did have to completely uninstall and reinstall the app for it to work fully; that may not be necessary for everyone. Hope that helps!

Great news! I'm still having issues over here -- when you mentioned uninstalling the app do you mean the Meta Quest Remote Desktop app or the Workrooms app?

I am still getting a consistent looping restart of the Meta Quest Remote Desktop app -- I tried uninstalling and installing again from the web or installing the older version and having it update to the latest but either way it keeps crashing when I start the app and then trying again over and over. 

I'm not sure if this is the difference between my Ventura (Beta) version or just that I don't have the right install yet.  Did you download the latest version to re-install?

Thanks for the update, really glad some people are getting it working!

We understand that you are still having trouble getting your App to download on your PC. We will do everything to assist you in resolving this issue as soon as possible. 

Could you please check your computer to ensure it is compatible? If you continue to have problems, please open a support ticket here and one of our experts will gladly assist you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Thanks for the support ticket link, I'll do that now -- I'll report back what I find to help others here or maybe everyone should launch a ticket.

@MetaQuestSupport If you can review the full thread here you'll see multiple community members were having the same problem with the new Meta Quest version of the Remote Desktop, it says it's compatible with Mac OS and there were updates to support the M1 processor already but the latest version is not installing correctly because it's crashing over and over without ever getting to the login screen.

I've been using the Oculus Remote Desktop every week without these issues up until now so that's why I'm reaching out here to be sure it's on the radar for the team.  And why I invited others from the Horizon Workrooms Community as well to add their experience to help raise the level on the issue. 

Fortunately the update seems to have resolved things for @apstraining but for some reason that hasn't resolved it for my situation. 

@VRaSS999 @angelaWOTM @ajkolm  Are you still having issues with this or did the 1.6.0.18.260 version of Remote Desktop resolve the issue for you?

@MetaQuestSupport There doesn't seem to be a relevant option for submitting a support request for this issue -- just hardware-related issues.  Do you have any suggestions on the best path to open a ticket?  They all seem to have multi-select follow-up questions related to hardware. 

What issues are you having?What issues are you having?

Tell us moreTell us more

Thanks

I have the same problem. Also intel mac with Ventura

@Teluth Interesting, I wonder if the new update fixes things for previous Mac OS M1 users but not for the upcoming Ventura? I'm also running Ventura but with the M1 and now it seems you are on Ventura with Intel --- most Mac OS Intel users are saying it's running ok.   Good to know! Maybe this will help the engineers narrow things down? @ocu1 unless we hear from some of the others that it's still an issue with non-Ventura community members. 

@NathanSudo I’m not sure if all my steps were required but here’s what I did to get the Meta Quest Remote Desktop app working on my two M1 Macs. A compounding issue seems to be the near-simultaneous transition to the Meta Quest accounts in addition to the prior standard of only Facebook accounts. I uninstalled the non-functional Remote Desktop on both computers and the downloaded the new update. Before I installed it, I reset my Meta Quest headsets (one for each computer) to factory settings and restarted them with my new synched accounts (Facebook and Meta Quest). I then installed the updated Remote Desktop app on my Macs. From there, I installed Workrooms on my freshly reset headsets, and added my computers. It all worked at that point. Again, not sure if all that was required or not. Hope that helps, all!