Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judder Issue

mistacorn
Honored Guest
Here's my setup:

Macbook Pro late 2013 model
Windows 8.1 on Bootcamp, booted directly into Windows

I downloaded the beta of Half Life 2 with Virtual Reality support, and it's pretty awesome, except I was getting awful juddering with the head-tracking to the point that it was making me nauseous. After researching and trying many things, I narrowed down the problem and realized it's actually more to do with the orientation of the screen setting in Windows display settings vs nVidia control panel that was introducing the judder.

What's really odd is that by default, the Oculus is set to "Landscape" in the nVidia control panel, but when set this way, it registers as portrait in the Windows display settings. Now, if I correct this in Windows display settings and set it to "Landscape", it forces it to "Portrait" in the nVidia control panel in the "Rotate Screen" area, and vice verse. I'm not sure why it's being registered differently by each of the two.

Getting further into it, if I set it to just "Landscape" in Windows settings, the judder goes away completely and the head-tracking is perfect, however, everything's upside down, so naturally, my next move was to change it to "Landscape (flipped)" in Windows. As soon as I do that though, all of the judder comes back.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with Valve, Occulus drivers, or nVidia drivers, but I was hoping maybe somebody else has had this experience and can offer some insight on what to do from here?
5 REPLIES 5

cybereality
Grand Champion
Interesting findings.

Does this judder happen with other apps besides HL2. HL2 may not be using the latest SDK, so that could be a reason it would have more problems that newer stuff (like our demo scene or Tuscany).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

mistacorn
Honored Guest
It happens in all of the Valve games, and in their SteamVR client, but not elsewhere that I have noticed. That's why I said I wasn't sure if it was a Valve issue or an Occulus one. Valve just seems to be the biggest early adapters to the VR world, and it's frustrating that the games run so well, which gets me excited to play them, but then the judder makes them unplayable. So hopefully it gets ironed out soon. It is very strange that the nVidia control panel and Windows report different screen orientations though, and that if I leave the setting on Landscape, the judder goes away.

I've seen other posts where people mention setting their primary monitor to 75Hz because they assume Oculus is reading the information from the wrong place and setting the game to run at 60Hz which the Oculus does not support. This is the only thing I haven't been able to try because I'm running a Macbook Pro, and their monitors don't support anything above 60Hz. But if the speculation is right, and it's a bug, hopefully that's something that can be patched in the next SDK. 🙂

SteamPunkProgra
Honored Guest
You could try running in extended mode, with the oculus set to 60hrz, this helped me in 99% of cases (remember to turn on aero desktop if you have it off, otherwise it wont play nice).
I agree with your thinking tho, I believe the oculus is getting confused somehow in direct mode, when the screen has a different hrz then 75hrz.

mistacorn
Honored Guest
"SteamPunkProgrammer" wrote:
You could try running in extended mode, with the oculus set to 60hrz, this helped me in 99% of cases (remember to turn on aero desktop if you have it off, otherwise it wont play nice).
I agree with your thinking tho, I believe the oculus is getting confused somehow in direct mode, when the screen has a different hrz then 75hrz.

Yes, I think I saw your post elsewhere and I tried this, but to no avail. Something about rotating the screen causes all of the Valve softwares to judder to the point where it is unplayable.

MrKaktus
Explorer
It's not about Valve, it's about all use cases. I have exactly the same issue with my game, exactly the same code works fine on Win7 but on Win8.1 is flipped upside down (to be exact rotated by 270 degree). Setting it to flipped resolves rendering orientation but introduces judder. Now I'm wondering do I need to implement another dirty hack for Oculus on Windows 8.1 or will we have in future FW/SDK at least proper reporting of display in Windows settings ?
Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?