cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought an oculus, black screens looks very bad, is it defective?

Leongomez11
Sightseer
I got my oculus a couple days ago and everything works and looks great when I'm actually in a game. However, in screens that are completely or mostly black (such as the opening credits/logos for most games and during loading screens) the screen looks terrible. I can see what appears to be dimly-lit greenish tint to the pixels around the edges of the screen, and the general location of these greenish areas are different on the screens for each eye (which can be quite jarring). I cannot tell if this is a problem with the actual pixels of the screen, or if it is some sort of light bleeding through to the edges of the screen from elsewhere. However, as soon as I'm actually in a game I notice nothing off and everything looks great. Does anyone have any experience with this / is it normal / should I try and replace my rift? Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

falken76
Expert Consultant
It's normal.  You won't pay attention to them at all after you've had your rift for a while.

LZoltowski
Champion
Each OLED panel has something called SPUD calibration. OLED panels are not all made equal and at the factory, each panel gets a "software fix", where a special map is generated for each pixel on the panel and values are adjusted to compensate for manufacturing inconsistencies.

This is what these calibration files look like:

Image result for Oculus rift spud

If the effect is very mild then it's okay, there is nothing to do and is a common thing, however, if it is quite bad and distracting in darker scenes then I would get in touch with support to see how they can help.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂