cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Known Issue - Cannot pair Replacement Quest Headset with the Oculus App

DominatorVIP
Adventurer

Hello all,

I recently got a brand new Oculus Quest via RMA, and I'm in the process of updating it. However, I'm having some issues trying to pair the new Headset with the app. I have the Oculus Quest 1 (or the OG quest).

When I try to setup the headset inside the Oculus app, I get through the part asking me to plug in the Quest to power, turn it on, etc. After I put in the pairing code found inside the Quest (sometimes it automatically finds the pairing code, sometimes it doesn't, don't know why), it says "pairing to headset". After a minute or two it spits out an error saying it cannot connect to the headset. I've tried all the following troubleshooting:

• Factory Resetting the headset (even though it's brand new :/)
  • Uninstalling/Reinstalling the Oculus app
  • Trying the setup on multiple different devices
  • Turning bluetooth & location off and on again, along with checking the app has proper permissions to use them on each of the devices I tried it on
  • Restarting the headset & devices

I don't know what's causing this. Is anyone else having this issue, and if so, is there any potential fixes for it? I already opened a ticket with Oculus Support and all I got as a response is "our developers are aware of the issue are are currently working on it" which could mean a lot or absolutely nothing judging by how you look at it. It looks like a LOT of other people are having this issue, so hopefully they fix whatever's causing it soon.

Cheers,

~ Dom

(EDIT: I posted a fix in the replies which appears to have fixed the issue for most. If it helped you at all, and you'd be so inclined, feel free to use my referral code, as when you (finally) activate your headset, we'll both get $30 of credit to use on whatever you want: https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/DominatorVIP/)

204 REPLIES 204

I could kiss you right now!!! Thank you so so much!!!!

Chobblybobbles
Honored Guest

Hi all,

I’ve been following this thread for some time now and wanted to add my experience.

I received a second hand Oculus Quest 2 as a gift in September, which had been purchased from Ebay. It had the pairing problem, I opened a ticket with Oculus Support, was assured that a firmware update would fix the problem. I was patient, v44 and 46 came and went, still no fix. I eventually returned the headset and decided to treat myself to a new one in the Black Friday sales, in the hope that the issue may have been resolved, and the odds would be more favourable with a new device.

I was aware I would be taking a chance, seeing as this thread is still active, but given all the recent positive reviews on UK retailers websites, I figured there must be plenty of bug free headsets for sale.

My brand new headset arrived yesterday, and you guessed it, will not pair! I have been informed by Oculus support, in their words, that “this has happened to most devices as it is affected globally” and “this can be sorted in no time”.

Most devices affected, and nearly 13 weeks and counting with no fix does not inspire confidence! I’m struggling to understand how this issue hasn’t made it into tech articles, blogs, YouTube etc yet? Is there some kind of cover up going on?

Rant over, I’m off to open a return.

Doesn't work. Tried three times.
So far the Meta Quest 2 is a frustrating and expensive mistake that is thwarted by ITS OWN APP. Lose the app and solve the problem.

What I find most frustrating with this non-solution is the suggestion that you start a ticket with the "team" yet log in and set-up issues are not an option to start a ticket at that link!!! I think this is going back in the box and back to the retailer. Should have known better than trust any Zuckware.

It is incredibly frustrating. One way to do it is to start a chat with support.
https://store.facebook.com/help/support/quest/
click software content -> other -> chat

10 1/2 month later, got our meta quest 2 with exactly the same problem. The “busy meta developers” didn’t solve this in 10 1;2 month??? Are they aware we are paying customers?

jdey123
Honored Guest

Having battled with this problem for a few hours my symptoms were this:-

1. Could login using my Facebook account into the Oculus app on my Oppo phone, connect to the Meta Quest 2 headset via Bluetooth and pair after about 10s

2. When I tried to follow the same steps on my son's and wife's phones, it got stuck on the pairing with headset but.

3. What solved it for me in the end was to simply login using my Facebook login and password on my son's phone. So I suspect that the headset can only pair if you use the same account as you did when you first paired with the headset

anncrook1968
Honored Guest

Returned a quest 1 weeks ago with a non booting fault / memory fault error 

Just had it back today and its got the pair fault unit still had the old oculus logo on boot not the new meta logo 

So I assume they are sending them out with a non compatible firmware 

Followed firmware downgrade via adb sideload listed in this thread and unit is all updated and working great 👍 

Anyone needs help in South Wales UK 🇬🇧 🙂 

Let me know takes a few minutes to do the firmware update 

MichaelXx2
Honored Guest
Hello again and thank you for the email.

Yes, Meta support wants to provide me with a headset replacement. I am a little concerned in case they provide me with a refurbished headset which may or may not be scratched or damaged. 

Also I was under the impression the issue I am facing with pairing is associated with Oculus only headsets. However, I have also had the same issues with the Meta Quest 2. Could they have been manufactured at the same time? 

Maybe you can give me some feedback in terms of pairing 2 VR headsets on the one Wifi Network. This is possible / right? Can you use the same IOS/Android device to pair both or do I have to use separate devices?

Kind Rgds
Michael

mya54321
Explorer

Where did you find a replacement? My son lost his headset and needs a new one