cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Known Issue - Controllers causing main menu to freeze while connected to wifi

Lem0ns
Explorer

Yesterday the controllers did a firmware update and then the menu screen started freezing every few seconds.

It will work fine for 2-5 seconds and then freeze for a few seconds. Downloads keep going etc. but both controllers freeze and the screen freezes on whatever I was looking at. When I move my head i can see the black void around the screen until it updates and things work again for a few seconds.

support said to reboot.

no fix.

said to re-pair remotes

no fix.

said to factory reset

no fix. 

The problem goes away when I disable wifi. Everything also works fine in an app. I've tried many different wifi hotspots. As soon as there's a wifi connection it starts freezing up.

62 REPLIES 62

I finally got around this problem by changing routers. It's a ridiculous solution, for sure, but it worked. I'm on an Asus wifi router now and I don't have the problem anymore.

That's fantastic to hear!

Genesis does what Nintendon't! Send me a DM if you have questions. I'm happy to help!

No it isn't he had to get a new router to fix it

Why can't the multibillion dollar company just fix the problem without you having to get a whole new router

This, exactly.

What's more, I tried two brand new routers of the same model (TP-Link AC1200) and the problem exhibited on both of them, no matter what settings I used. It works great on the Asus AC1900 I switched to, but it's still frustrating that I had to go through all the trouble and even send them videos of the problem occurring, only to get no real answers.

galvedro
Explorer

As far as I can see, the freezes in the menu are directly related to having WiFi enabled but having no *Internet* access. I have tested this by using a working setup and unplugging my ISP access from my house's LAN. The result is: the Quest 2 UI freezes. If my Quest 2 joins a WiFi network with no Internet access, it freezes; if it joins a WiFi network with Internet access, it is happy.

There a number of reasons for not having access to the Internet with WiFi enabled, one of which can be *on purpose*, others might be incompatible WiFi access points, wrong network settings, etc.. I bet the problem is fairly well understood by now at Meta; it would be appropriate that Support posted an update to say what the plan is. Just to show some respect for customer's time, that is...

It's about time

My problem existed while the internet was working fine, it was specific to the model of router I was trying to use. In both cases with the TP-Link, it had the freezing issue while other devices could connect to the network through the router just fine. Switched to an Asus router and stopped having any problems at all.

primal-79
Explorer

I'd really like to know what it internally is that some routers work fine and some do not. I have pretty good wifi router (HPE Aruba) and it does not work. If Meta could be specific on what configuration I should for that would very appreciated.

Instead they force me reinitialise my headset over PC app.

In your case, it looks like the Quest establishes a radio link to your WiFi router, but probably data was not flowing. The cause for the actual freezes would be (I think) data not flowing. There is no reason why the Quest should freeze when data is not flowing through the WiFi connection.

To me this looks like two issues:

1. Quest *freezes* when wifi is on but there is not traffic. This could be a bug anywhere from the Quest's wifi driver up to the top-level app freezing the gui until a response is received from some URL.

2. There are incompatibilities between the Quest 2's wifi interface and certain wifi access points. This is might be addressable by tweaking settings in the wifi drivers in the Quest. Being there, done that.

galvedro
Explorer

Just to add a little bit of extra information. The first thing the HMD does when it joins a WiFi network is to locate three URLs: www.google.com, connectivitycheck.gstatic.com, and graph.oculus.com. It pings oculus and establishes a TLS (encrypted) connection to it. There is traffic on that connection.

I am not going to keep digging, but I bet the headset freezes when WiFi is enabled but it can't reach that URL.