cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop with only hdmi port

HCASOK
Explorer

Hello from France so excuse my poor english.

I want to buy a rift s but my laptop doesn't have a displayport port !

So is there a solution to make it works on my laptop ?

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

Espionage724
Expert Protege

It depends on your laptop and how the discrete/dedicated GPU is wired. Some laptops allow for a USB-C/Thunderbolt-to-DisplayPort adapter to be used, because the laptop has the discrete GPU wired with a DisplayPort, presented through the USB-C port. It's these laptops that would likely work fine with a Rift S.

If your laptop has an NVIDIA graphics card, you can check this by opening the NVIDIA control panel, and looking at the PhysX configuration page. It will lists what display ports are on what GPU. If it shows a USB-C port or DisplayPort under the NVIDIA GPU, then it's likely you can grab an adapter and be good to go. If it shows only an HDMI port on the NVIDIA GPU, then you can't use a Rift S, with the laptop's discrete GPU.

Another option is an eGPU, but this requires an eGPU enclosure, and some method to connect it to the laptop (Thunderbolt 3 in most cases, Thunderbolt 2 on slightly older Macbooks, and mini PCI-E in worst-case on most laptops). This will require a bit more research and potentially be expensive, but ideally it'll allow you to use a desktop GPU on a laptop, and thus use that GPU for anything (including VR and a Rift S).

Quest 2 | 2700X | 6600 XT

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Maybe look at a Quest 2 with Link cable.  What gpu does your laptop have?

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

HCASOK
Explorer

Hello, thal you for your answers. If i tell you what the gpu is, would you be able to tell me if the rift s will work ?

Hello, thank you for your answers. If i tell you what the gpu is, would you be able to tell me if the rift s will work ?

HCASOK
Explorer

HCASOK_0-1626331542314.png

This is the gpu...

No that laptop looks like it only has an integrated gpu so not pcvr ready.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

So what do i need to make rift s works ? a dock station ?

Probably a proper gaming pc.  Go to the Oculus website to see recommenced pc requirements.

HCASOK
Explorer

i've bought a rift s on ebay yesterday. can i retract this purchase ?