cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last USB device malfunctioned.

Virago54
Explorer

Hello,

When I shut off my Quest 3, using a Meta Link Cable, the Windows 10 chime, noting that a item was unplugged from the USB port sounds. A few seconds later a chime, noting that a USB device was added to a USB port  goes off. This continues for as long as the Quest 3 is off. If I turn on the Quest 3, then it stops. Everything works fine as I have played Elite Dangerous for, at times three hours. In order to bypass this problem I must shut the Quest 3 last.

There comes a message saying that "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does no recognize it". LOL, this is because the device is off. If I click on the notice this pop-up appears:

USB Error Screenshot 2024-03-30 192605.jpg

Questions:

1 - Is it possible that this cable was not made for the Quest 3. I bought it from Meta, the USB port on the PC is V 3.2. The documentation does not say anywhere that it is for the Quest 3, only Quest 2 and Quest. Works perfectly as long as the Quest 3 is on.

2-Is there a cable made for the Quest 3?

3-Are you aware of this problem?

4-Is it normal that when I use the Quest 3 that the battery still discharges? After three hours, it is down to 50%, when starting from a full charge!

The work around is, when starting, turn the Quest on before the PC. Turn the PC off before the Quest 3.

William

William M.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Virago54 Thanks for reaching out with those questions. We want to suggest using another cable and letting us know if you are still receiving that message. You can always make sure your cloud backup is enabled and try a factory reset if needed. As for your questions:

• 1: The Meta Quest link should work fine with Q3. 
  • 2: Not specifically 
  • 3: Submit a bug report. 
  • 4: Yes, the link isn't to charge your headset; it's to connect to your PC.

If you need further assistance, please let us know, and we will be happy to continue looking into things for you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

Thanks for your answers. Later.

William M.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Virago54 Thanks for reaching out with those questions. We want to suggest using another cable and letting us know if you are still receiving that message. You can always make sure your cloud backup is enabled and try a factory reset if needed. As for your questions:

• 1: The Meta Quest link should work fine with Q3. 
  • 2: Not specifically 
  • 3: Submit a bug report. 
  • 4: Yes, the link isn't to charge your headset; it's to connect to your PC.

If you need further assistance, please let us know, and we will be happy to continue looking into things for you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Knock, knock. @Virago54, How is everything going? We're just looping back around to see if the steps listed above were able to help you with your issue and answer your questions. If not, please don't be a stranger and reach back out to us for more support. If so, we appreciate you coming to us for your troubleshooting help. Enjoy your day!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems to be a driver problem. When the Quest is off and plugged into the computer, Windows 10 tries to communicate with the Quest, when it does not get an answer, it produces an error, as I showed you. Very easy to fix, just leave the Quest on. or unplug the Quest. Very minor. If you would like to see a video I can make one?

As per your suggestions, Questions 1 and 2 cleared up some thoughts I had. At $128.00 for another cable, it is too expensive for such a minor problem.

As I write this message, having plugged the Quest in, the message goes over and over about every twenty seconds or so. All I have to do is unplug the Quest or turn it on, then messages stop. Not a big problem.

Question 4, I did do a check, and the Quest does charge when connected to the computer. During game play, heavy on graphics, the battery will discharge, although slowly. If I let the Quest sit the battery does charge up.

My questions, I asked, were just to see if I had the wrong cable. You answered that, thanks.

William

William M.

Hi @Virago54! We are happy to hear that we have answered your questions. If you have further questions or concerns, reach out anytime. We hope you have a great day!

Thanks for your answers. Later.

William M.
Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?