cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launching apps while other apps are running

borisv13
Explorer

I hope I am posting this in the right place!

The issue here is a little complex, I will do my best to explain it.

If I am playing a game, any game, for example Pavlov Shack or Walkabout, I want to be able to open my library and launch Oculess or Discordwithout closing the game I am playing.

When I go to do this, Oculus OS will always pop up a dialog saying "you have to quit your current game in order to open the app".

But here's the thing... over in Pavlov Shack we have a big community and some of them do not get that dialog box! They even posted videos demonstrating this. Instead, Oculess/Discord just opens for them, even though they are in a game.

We have compared Oculus versions and Oculess versions and Discord. Everything is the same.

None of us can figure out why this works for some people but not for others.

I would appreciate any insight here. Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @borisv13! We can definitely understand your concerns regarding the inability to open another app, such as discord, while your game is open. We'd love to help out however we can! Are you using your device with a computer, or a standalone device? Once we hear back we'll be able to decide what comes next. We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

borisv13
Explorer

Quest 2 standalone / native. No PC. 

Hey there @borisv13! We have looked into this and are wondering how you are running Discord on the Quest 2 standalone, as we do not have discord listed in our app store. Thanks!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

borisv13
Explorer

https://youtu.be/84LDCXW7Rzg

I'd like to reiterate the problem. Out of a community of hundreds, we all follow these same instructions. After which, some folks can run Discord/Oculess while a game is running, and some folks can't.

Same instructions, same HMD, same Oculus version, same game version, same Discord/Oculess version.

What could be the difference here?

Hey @borisv13! We see now that you are talking about sideloading Discord onto the headset through external files. Unfortunately we do not officially support Discord for use on the headset, but we wish you the best of luck in getting your issue resolved. Thanks!