cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left controller analog stick drifting

floweymic
Honored Guest
Hello I have recently acquired a problem with my left controller's analog stick as it is drifting I've unpaired and paired , taken the battery out for a couple minutes and it's not worked.
30 REPLIES 30

PS, I always unpair and re-pair the handsets myself. But as you said "My oculus is playable now with very little drift. " no offense, to me having drift at all is still unacceptable. I had already turned handsetting off. And it seems I rarely "get a little drift". For example the handset I'm about to turn in next I can only curcle to the left (even when I don't want to). pressing right on the joystick does nothing. So out of my 2 sets of controllers, 2 lefts and a right have had to be fixed in less than a year. That really is unacceptable.

JamesGilliland
Honored Guest

ive had the same problem for months now with the left controller 

I've had it with both controllers and pestered support until they finally gave me a return label and fixed it for free (for both a right and left controller). If your controllers are less than a year old, they should be covered. But it may take some pestring of their tech support. Thankfully, I bought mine with an extended warranty so after a year the extended warranty will replace or fix them

ChrispyBaconz
Honored Guest

I’m having issues with my left controller, it started to gain drift on its own, I’ve taken the batteries out for a few minutes, and now I’m having problems with my left controller.

Hey ChrispyBaconz! We'd love to help out here as much as we can. Please attempt to clean your controller's analog stick to see if the drifting stops. The next step we recommend would be to manually unpair and repair your controllers by completing the following steps:

• Open the Oculus app on the phone.
  • Tap Settings from the bottom menu.
  • Tap the headset that is currently paired.
  • Tap Controller, then tap the desired controller to unpair.
  • Tap Unpair Controller.

After your controllers are unpaired, complete the following to repair your controllers

If not already done, insert the included battery into the controller, then tap Continue on the Oculus app.

• Open the Oculus app
  • Tap Oculus Quest or Oculus Quest 2 in the top left corner of the Oculus app
  • Tap Settings in the bottom right corner of the app.
  • Tap Oculus Quest or Oculus Quest 2 under the user's name and email.
  • Tap Controllers then tap Left or Right to choose which hand you’d like to pair.

If you the issue you are experiencing is controller flyaway, where the controllers float away from you, then the issue is likely related to tracking. For a tracking related controller issue, we recommend making sure that the lighting in your play space is adequate and doesn't have any reflective surfaces that could interfere with the controllers positional tracking. If you meet all of the optimal tracking requirements, then we recommend completing a factory reset. Before completing the factory reset, we recommend turning on our Cloud Backup feature to save eligible game data from being erased from your device during the factory reset. To learn how to turn on and more about our Cloud Backup feature, please follow the link here: Oculus Cloud Backup! Steps for completing a factory reset can be found in the article linked here: Factory Reset!

If these steps aren't useful in getting your controller to stop drifting, then we ask that you submit a support ticket in order to get in contact with our specialized support team. To submit a support ticket, please got to the bottom of the page and find the "Get Support" button to submit a support ticket. Please follow the link here: https://metaque.st/Support! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Awesome, I got a hold of them thanks it took forever a few hours on the phone and completely resetting two separate oculus headsets to convince the guy that my controller was crap. Awesome now my problem is finding the receipt to swap it out lol 

nrHappiness
Honored Guest

a couple of days ago my controller began to drift and I don't know why

grymlynn
Explorer

That's because if you play regularly it has issues with drift.  If you go to oculus support, the tech will walk you through some of the potential corrections.  So far they've had to replace my controllers 4x (twice for each R and L controllers) since it happened with each set after less than a year of owning them.  Ask anyone that then regularly and they'll trell you they've had drift issues. 

The controllers contain analogue potentiometers with standard carbon tracks, rather than more effective but expensive optical or Hall-effect sensors. Those carbon tracks are subject to wear and unfortunately are low enough quality that they will wear out relatively quickly if used enthusiastically.

Contact cleaner can help for a while although I'd recommed dismantling the controller and joystick to do it properly rather than just spraying the stuff randomly and hoping for the best. There is an excellent disassembly and cleaning guide here . It's undeniably fiddly but doesn't need any custom tools or soldering.

You can only clean the joystick a certain number of times before the tracks will have worn out completely though (and you risk losing springs of other tiny parts when you dismantle the joystick module), so it may be a better and simpler idea to replace the whole module, rather than cleaning it, while you have the controller disassembled. Kits with the joystick and disassembly tools are available for less than £5 on AliExpress, or the module itself can be found on Amazon and elsewhere for about three times that.

DustinTheDude
Honored Guest

I have a really bad controller drift and I don’t have a pc