cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Cable not sending any power while plugged in

jimythedrummer
Explorer

Hello, I am fully aware that the link cable will not "charge" my headset while playing. However it has always provided a small amount of power which helps my headset last at least 3 to 4 hours while playing. Today I noticed that this has stopped. I was only able to play for about an hour and a half and I got warnings that my battery was extremely low. Is there something that I could have changed in settings to prevent the cable from sending power while playing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@jimythedrummer wrote:

Hello, I am fully aware that the link cable will not "charge" my headset while playing. However it has always provided a small amount of power which helps my headset last at least 3 to 4 hours while playing. Today I noticed that this has stopped. I was only able to play for about an hour and a half and I got warnings that my battery was extremely low. Is there something that I could have changed in settings to prevent the cable from sending power while playing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

I think your problem may be either the Link cable and/or your PC usb port.  I'm not having any issues with my official link cable (connected to my z790 motherboard usb3.2 type-c port).  Since v62 Link/Air Link improvements my Q3 and QPro headset batteries seem to hold at 80-90% for a very long time (+5-6hrs).  

First thing is to make sure you start a link session with a fully charged headset battery.

Make sure your cable is actually supplying power by testing it out with other devices.  You may also want to try different PC usb ports and/or a different usb3 cable.

If you can't get it to supply power you may want to try using a powered link cable that uses your Q3 charger to help maintain your headset battery levels.  I used to use the Kuject powered link cable from Amazon and it worked great with my Q2 and older z390 motherboard.  Once I upgraded my PC to include a z790 mb I found I didn't need to use this anymore and went back to using my official link cable.

If you want to try a powered link cable do a bit of searching for these on the Amazon store.  Have a look at Q3 capable ones and check out reviews to see how others have found these to work with the Q3.  If you buy from Amazon it's easy to return for a refund if it doesn't work well for you.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @jimythedrummer! We would love to provide you with some information in regard to battery life and charging. You are absolutely correct. The Link cable is not meant to charge your Quest device. When charging your Meta Quest headset, use the charger that was included in the box. While you may be able to charge your headset’s battery with chargers from other devices, your headset and its included charger were designed and tested to work optimally together and to maximize the performance of your headset. 

If trying to charge your headset on a PC, please take note of the following:

• Computers typically provide less power than outlets and may require more time to charge.
  • If you are using an adapter, the port type being used may provide even less power than the USB-C port that is typically used for charging and link cables.
  • Computers may also stop charging peripherals if the peripheral is completely powered off (causing the computer to not recognize the presence of the device), or if the computer itself goes into a sleep state. This is dependent on the port, motherboard, BIOS settings (not all of which may be visible in every BIOS) and USB power settings. BIOS settings vary greatly between computer models, so we cannot provide assistance with these.
  • While in use, the headset will typically consume more power than the computer port can provide, resulting in the battery charge decreasing over time. The headset must be off or in a low power (sleep) state to charge.

We hope this information helps. Feel free to reach out to us with any other questions or concerns! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again! Just checking to see if you still need assistance regarding charging your device. We're here to help! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?