cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link not supplying power to Q2

Zandil
Rising Star

Ok so this just started the other day, my quest 2 will no longer charge via the Oculus link cable, and when I play PCVR the Q2 battery is discharging fast, I'm talking lost 40% charge in 10 mins.

After playing around I have found a strange issue, the link is plugged into the USB C on my MoBo and when checking power outputs for USB ports the Quest 2 port is showing 0 power output, yet the link cable works fine just stopped supplying power all of a sudden.

unsure if this is a software issue in my PC, It charges fine via a wall socket

So far, I unplugged everything from other USB ports, no luck

Plug my Pixel phone into the link cable and it gets a power reading of 896 mA

Tested in a USB 3 port and the Q2 shows 500mA

Tested on another USB c-c in same USB C port and same issue 0 power output

Mobo is only 3 months old ROG Strix B550-F Gaming

if anyone knows a possible solution?

Updated with another test:

Using power cord that came with Q2, plugged into USB C port on back of PC, Phone plugged in reads 500mA, plug Q2 in and reads 0mA

252 REPLIES 252

plagueseason
Protege

FWIW, the latest update from Oculus support on June 16th, after I asked for a status:

"After analyzing the previous ticket, We do [not] have an update on the issue yet. However, rest assured that the issue is being investigated and a software/firmware update will be made available once a solution is available."

Gnimmel
Explorer

I just noticed this bug as well. I have a Alienware desktop which always charged my quest in the past.

I will order a USB-C to A adapter and deny storage when asked to see if that helps.

Did it help you? Denying storage didn't seem to help me at all. 

No that has never helped me. It’s right on their support site that you’re supposed to deny that prompt, so I’ve always done that. 

warfaced
Explorer

Using USB C to C Official Oculus Link Cable, getting 0 mA. Using a USB A to C Off-Brand Cable, I get 500 mA charge. When I use the cable for my Android Phone to my C port, it charges. This must be a firmware issue with the Quest 2 b/c my phone and other Android devices wouldn't charge over this port & cable otherwise. There's no reason the Quest 2 shouldn't be able to receive a charge like my phones, tablets, and other USB-C electronics have no problem doing.

What cable do you have that works?

I finally got my USB C to A adapter today and unfortunately it made no difference with the official link cable.

For now I've given up using my quest 2 as I need a PC headset for development. I liked the quest controllers the best because they are easier to quickly pick up and put down so I hope this bug is fixed soon.

@Gnimmel  There is no bug mate imho.  Maybe the problem is either your usb settings/drivers, MB, or the adapter you used.  With my official link cable and my Asus z390 MB usb3.1 gen2 type-c this charges my Q2 enough so I only lose ~10% headset battery/hr.  I also have a pcie usb3.1 gen1 sata powered (from my pc's psu) and this does about the same with a good quality Cable Creations adapter from Amazon.  Not all usb-c to usb-a are created equally imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Multiple people in this thread have said it used to work with their setup and now it doesn't. So it does look like it is firmware issue on the oculus side.

Henzzle
Explorer

What I've noticed looking through the setups of the people in this thread is that we all seem to have motherboards for Ryzen processors. Perhaps an oculus update messed up the compatibility with the AMD motherboards? I'm curious if there is anyone here that is experiencing this problem with an intel mb. 

I have an Alienware with a Intel chip, so it's not just Ryzen.