cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link not supplying power to Q2

Zandil
Rising Star

Ok so this just started the other day, my quest 2 will no longer charge via the Oculus link cable, and when I play PCVR the Q2 battery is discharging fast, I'm talking lost 40% charge in 10 mins.

After playing around I have found a strange issue, the link is plugged into the USB C on my MoBo and when checking power outputs for USB ports the Quest 2 port is showing 0 power output, yet the link cable works fine just stopped supplying power all of a sudden.

unsure if this is a software issue in my PC, It charges fine via a wall socket

So far, I unplugged everything from other USB ports, no luck

Plug my Pixel phone into the link cable and it gets a power reading of 896 mA

Tested in a USB 3 port and the Q2 shows 500mA

Tested on another USB c-c in same USB C port and same issue 0 power output

Mobo is only 3 months old ROG Strix B550-F Gaming

if anyone knows a possible solution?

Updated with another test:

Using power cord that came with Q2, plugged into USB C port on back of PC, Phone plugged in reads 500mA, plug Q2 in and reads 0mA

252 REPLIES 252

This is the UK Amazon version of the cable that GCOCommander recommended earlier. There is hope.

I'd definitely recommend hooking the Quest Link cable up to a wall outlet and your cellphone (check mA charge with Accubattery) and then see if it also charges your headset from there, to make sure it is the cable. I think most of the problems happening here have to do with older motherboards that don't support high wattage charging from the USB ports.

I recently got a new Laptop (ASUS Zephyrus G15) with USB-PD rated up to 60W in the spec, and it works with my Oculus Link cable and Quest 2 headset for charging, whereas my old laptop (Cyberpower Tracer II from early 2018) and desktop (hand-built in 2016) don't charge it. Make sure any laptop/desktop USB-C ports you use are rated for USB-PD 20W (Tested w/ 60W) or more or Thunderbolt 3/4. These ports should pump out ~2000-3000 mA or more no problem. There are PCI-E cards w/ USB-C ports that can be bought that do this.

Still, the headset on these old USB ports should be getting a low charge (~500-800mA), not 0 mA, like they do w/ my cell phone. I blame Facebook for that, that's something to do with the headset/software.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just connected my Pixel 5 phone to the Oculus Link cable on Asus X570 ITX motherboard and Android gave me a warning saying there was liquid or debris in the USB outlet and it won't charge even after I re-enabled the USB port on the phone.

lol that's some defective charging. I got that message before after I dropped my phone in the toilet. It should go away after a bit, keep your phone in a dry place tho, and maybe clean out the USB-C port on the phone if you have a cotton swab or something.

MattGorilla
Honored Guest

SOLVED!!

After getting only ~2 hours of use out using two different link cables (VR Cover C to C and the Official Link Cable) I ordered an Anker cable from Amazon, and now my play time is virtually unlimited. The battery still drains, but at a rate of less than 5% an hour.

It's only a USB 3.0 5gbps cable, but I haven't notice a loss in quality. The only real downsides I can see are: 

1. Only 10 ft. long. (Though apparently it can be extended without loss of power or signal.)

2. Thick, stiff cable.

3. No L bend at the end, though that can also be modified.

The cable I recommended above is a much better choice than that Anker cable. It's 16ft, it's braided for more flex and it has the L bend at the end. I highly recommend it. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D87D4V1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is something which will make Zuck to be ashamed of his software artificial problems he make.

I own Quest 1g did not play for a year, the firmware was on v23 the PC software was updated to v34 without any PTC enabled, it was charging fine when not used just connected to PC in standby.

When tested the USB cable through Oculus software this were the results.

---
The Quest was connected through a Unitek extension cable of 5M + USB A to C 3M chinese cable.

USB 3.0 port bandwidth = 1.7Gbps

USB 3.1 port bandwidth = 1.5Gbps

---

After software update on Quest headset from v23 to v34 or v35 same tests were performed.

USB 3.0 port bandwidth = 1.2Gbps

USB 3.1 port bandwidth = 1.5Gbps

---

Now after this updates it does not charge at PC even in standby, it just draws 0.456 mA from both USB connectors but before updates it was drawing 968 mA.

Conclusion: I think this are intentional throttles of bandwidth and power.

Yes, the new cable allows charging with the PC powered on, but drains the Q2 battery if the PC power is removed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I finally did a comparison of the Oculus Link cable vs the LiHeng cable recommended above as well as learned some interesting facts about my computer.

To start with, I have a z490 Gigabyte Aorus Master motherboard and it turns out it has 5 USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports and 4 3.2 Gen 1 ports.

I also had an add in card for USB type C 2x 3.1 Gen 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087WQKLQ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I forgot about the 15 pin power connector on my add in card and must have accidentally left it unplugged when I installed my RTX 3090 video card.   So my add in card was no longer providing even a standby charge via the Oculus Link cable.  But my motherboard USB c 3.2 gen 2 port was working fantastic.

Now I have plugged the power connector back in to the add in card and I ran a series of 10 minute tests using Real Fishing VR.

Real Fishing VR on Quest 2 battery

8% drain across 10 minutes

Real Fishing VR on BEYIMEI PCIe 4x add in card using LiHeng USB A 3.2 Gen 1 cable

Real Fishing VR on BEYIMEI PCIe 4x add in card using Official Oculus Link Cable

Real Fishing VR on Gigabyte Aorus z490 USB 3.2 Gen 2 port using LiHeng USB A 3.2 Gen 1 cable

5% drain across 10 minutes

Real Fishing VR on Gigabyte Aorus z490 USB 3.2 Gen 2 port using Official Oculus Link cable

5% charge across 10 minutes

@idle the LiHeng cable on the BEYIMEI PCIe card would gradually charge the oculus quest 2 battery, but very slowly.

@idle the Oculus Link Cable on the BEYIMEI PCIe card would charge the oculus quest 2 at an acceptable rate but hardly at the rate it should have.

@idle the LiHeng cable connected to my motherboard 3.2 gen 2 ports would charge the Oculus Quest 2 at an acceptable rate, but not near the rate that it should have.

@idle the Oculus Link cable on my motherboard 3.2 gen 2 type C port would charge exactly as it is supposed to.

So for whatever reason, the BEYEMIE add in card even using a power connector is useless at providing sufficient charge for the Quest 2.  It used to work!  Perhaps it is simply defective and I need to try a different PCIe card.

The LiHeng cable failed for providing power, but did work for data transmission.  It never even came close to the power ability of the official Link cable when using my motherboard ports.

It isn't much, but maybe this quick comparison will help someone.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone (and mostly you) who has spent countless time and money troubleshooting this issue. I have just finished reading through 10 months of research from people who are having the same problem as me. I wanted to thank GCOCommander in particular because I just ordered the last LiHeng cable in stock, and I am very glad I found this thread. So, thank you again everyone.