cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link not supplying power to Q2

Zandil
Rising Star

Ok so this just started the other day, my quest 2 will no longer charge via the Oculus link cable, and when I play PCVR the Q2 battery is discharging fast, I'm talking lost 40% charge in 10 mins.

After playing around I have found a strange issue, the link is plugged into the USB C on my MoBo and when checking power outputs for USB ports the Quest 2 port is showing 0 power output, yet the link cable works fine just stopped supplying power all of a sudden.

unsure if this is a software issue in my PC, It charges fine via a wall socket

So far, I unplugged everything from other USB ports, no luck

Plug my Pixel phone into the link cable and it gets a power reading of 896 mA

Tested in a USB 3 port and the Q2 shows 500mA

Tested on another USB c-c in same USB C port and same issue 0 power output

Mobo is only 3 months old ROG Strix B550-F Gaming

if anyone knows a possible solution?

Updated with another test:

Using power cord that came with Q2, plugged into USB C port on back of PC, Phone plugged in reads 500mA, plug Q2 in and reads 0mA

252 REPLIES 252

I have the kuject cable you have mentioned, and it doesn't charge the quest as it promises to at 78%, its fallen below 70% and still nothing I've followed the steps on how to plug it in while using the charger the quest comes woth and also made sure the cable charges before plugging into my pc. Is there anything else I have to make sure of?

Do you have 120Hz mode enabled. 

The cable specifically says it wont properly with that mode enabled.

Also there is a specific order to connect the cables in:

1. Connect the AC adapter to the link cable

2. Plug the AC adapter into the wall

3. Plug the link cable into the headset

4. Wait 10 seconds

5. Plug the link cable into the computer. 

The recent updates to the Quest 2 firmware have definitely made things a little more finicky. 

While you’re using it, the battery will fall like normal. When it hits 20% it will start charging up to about 80%. When you are done, charge it normally (I put it on my BOBOVR charging dock) and it will go to 100%.

I have it at 90hz and I have followed the steps on how to plug 

Ah OK, I didn't know that it had to go down to 20% before it starts charging, cause it said in the description of the item that it drops to 78% and stays there.

I think since a firmware update, things work a little differently than the description says. 

I know it is definitely more finicky than it was when I first bought it.

I did also recently purchase: Amazon.com: JSAUX Link Cable 16 FT Compatible with Oculus Quest 2 Accessories【 Charging While Playin...

In initial testing it doesn't seem as finicky as the other cable, but I still have to do some detailed testing, the instructions for plugging it in are a little different than the other cable.

Ok thank you, one last thing when using the cable how long does it take for you to lose 1%, cause I lose 1% every 10-20 mins is that normal?

I don’t know. But 1% every 10-20 mins would give you 16-33 hrs so you should be good with that. With just the Oculus link cable I would lose 1% every 2-3 mins.

So I just did some testing:

With the Kuject cable, regardless of the order I plugged things in after 30 mins of PCVR I noticed zero battery change (no charge or discharge), this was tested at battery levels of ~35% and ~15% so the charging when below 20% doesn't appear to be true. This was with the 120Hz option disabled in the Quest 2 setting menu (in the actual headset) and running at 80Hz for the PCVR.

With the JSAUX cable, I noticed about a 2% increase in battery over 30 minutes of PCVR (this was tested at about 35% charge), the only caveat being it seems more sensitive to the order I plugged things in, if the AC adapter was the last thing plugged in it would lose about 8% every 30 minutes. As long as the headset was plugged in after the AC adapter then it would gain about 2%. 

At this point I will change my recommendation to the JSAUX cable, as long as you make sure that the AC adapter is connected prior to the headset. I'm not sure if something changed with the Kuject cable (or if my new one is malfunctioning) or if something changed in the Quest 2 firmware, but it isn't behaving like my old cable did with my old headset many months ago.

That sucks cause sadly the jsaux cable isn't available in the UK.