cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link not supplying power to Q2

Zandil
Rising Star

Ok so this just started the other day, my quest 2 will no longer charge via the Oculus link cable, and when I play PCVR the Q2 battery is discharging fast, I'm talking lost 40% charge in 10 mins.

After playing around I have found a strange issue, the link is plugged into the USB C on my MoBo and when checking power outputs for USB ports the Quest 2 port is showing 0 power output, yet the link cable works fine just stopped supplying power all of a sudden.

unsure if this is a software issue in my PC, It charges fine via a wall socket

So far, I unplugged everything from other USB ports, no luck

Plug my Pixel phone into the link cable and it gets a power reading of 896 mA

Tested in a USB 3 port and the Q2 shows 500mA

Tested on another USB c-c in same USB C port and same issue 0 power output

Mobo is only 3 months old ROG Strix B550-F Gaming

if anyone knows a possible solution?

Updated with another test:

Using power cord that came with Q2, plugged into USB C port on back of PC, Phone plugged in reads 500mA, plug Q2 in and reads 0mA

252 REPLIES 252

NARCISYNDRoME
Explorer

It would appear Facebook doesn't care. Disappointing however unsurprising.

Chow_ZA
Honored Guest

How on earth is this still a problem? I just got an official Link cable because my 3rd party one wasn't working as expected, and this is actually performing worse.

NARCISYNDRoME
Explorer

Okay people I've went on a bit of a Amazon shopping spree. Grabbing various items that rumor has may fix this problem of ours. Some have been said to solve the issue from other sights and some I'm rolling the dice. I'll test on multiple PC's and will reply with links in response for item/s that rectify this. Cross your fingers.

I will save you some trouble by letting you know that PCIE expansion cards don't fix the problem. I have tried 4 of them now and nothing has changed. I have heard there is a USB C to USB C + A Y cable that can fix the issue but I cant seem to find that unicorn cable. The only thing that works is to buy the battery pack elite strap, for some reason that works. 

WaterDragon1123
Honored Guest

same my pc wont let me play i have a rtx 3700 with i7 intel and all the other stuff and its like "YoUr haRDwARE doSENt meET the rEqIURemenTS fOR PCvR"

Yea... Just figured that out now... 🤦🏼‍:male_sign:

You're 3 days late. And $25 short.

a-type
Honored Guest

Same problem here with Gigabyte Z590i Aorus Ultra motherboard. Quest 2 doesn't charge at all, even when powered off.

I'm using an offbrand (Kuject) USB cable. Interestingly, it does charge at 500 mA if I plug it into the provided USB A adapter - but the adapter registers only as USB 2.0. So I can charge it with the adapter overnight, then switch it back to my onboard USB-C hub to play for as long as it lasts.

Looking for decent powered USB-C hubs. Can't seem to find many that don't have a bunch of other things (like HDMI out) that would be superfluous.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having same issue with Link and USB-C on Asus X570-I Gaming ITX motherboard.

Is there a better way to submit this bug to Facebook? Really frustrating to buy a $80 USB-C cable that can't even deliver power. 

zedian
Honored Guest

Hello again.

I bought a PCIe usb extender with a USB-C and USB-A port, as i thought the USB-C from my motherboard did not supply enough power, saddly i had no luck using a USB-C to C cable (official link cable) i have had 0 luck getting the headset to charge while playing in oculus link. (with a C to C cable)

what worked for me: 

I ordered a USB-A to C cable from anker as i read that some people were having succes with USB-A to C.

Initially nothing changed.

then i continued troubleshooting with a friend of mine that has had no issue charging his headset while playing on oculus link, so we ended up comparing screenshots from USBdeview and i noticed on a screenshot that his quest2 had the type: "Unknown" where mine said : "USB Mass storage device" earlier i read somewhere that storage devices are set to a lower power state so i was thinking this was the issue. then my friend found on the official oculus page that u must press deny when allowing acces to data/storage when intending to play games with the oculus link. and as i did this my device type changed to "Unknown" after this i was able to play for longer sessions even up to 4 hours with 67% battery left. later in the week it stopped charging suddenly even though i clicked deny on the data acces prompt.

A few days later i remember reading that people had to bring the quest 2 out of sleep and then connect the quest 2 to the pc for it to charge properly.

If the quest2 was connected while booting or getting out of sleep it would not charge properly.

As a summary the procedure of waking up or booting up the quest 2 and then connecting the link cable

(must be USB3-A to C) and then clicking DENY on the data acces prompt my quest2 has properly charged every gaming session for the past 4 days.

I hope my findings are of use to some of you.

Rjoe1019
Honored Guest

Yep definitely a software problem on oculus' end just got off the phone with my MB manufacturer and I got everything up to date, all USB drivers, bios, etc. It is definitely oculus.