cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux: No Sensor Detected

joe
Explorer
On Linux when I enumerate the HMDs via the device manager it finds one HMD. When I call GetSensor on that HMD I get NULL back. Yes, the USB cable is plugged in. I've tried both a USB 3.0 port and a USB 2.0 port.

This matches what I'm seeing in the OculusWorldDemo (it finds the display but shows No Sensor Detected and headtracking doesn't work.) When I run the configuration tool the model is listed as No Device Attached.

This is on a box running Ubuntu 12.4.3 with identical hardware to my windows box (that detects Riften just fine.) What can I look at to try to figure out what is going wrong? I'm happy to debug down into the SDK if need be.
3 REPLIES 3

joe
Explorer
The issue is that the Oculus SDK can't open the HID RAW device (/dev/hidraw0 in my case) unless it is running as root.

What does Oculus expect end users to do to get around this? I can set the group on those devices to something I have read permissions in, but that only fixes my box.

joe
Explorer
Turns out this is covered in the documentation:
3.5.3 Linux
A makefile is provided in the root folder which allows you to build libovr and the OculusWorldDemo sample.
The code is dependent on the udev and Xinerama runtime components and so before building you must
install the relevant packages. It is also necessary to install a udev/rules.d file in order to set the correct
access permissions for Oculus HID devices. These steps can be performed by executing the provided script
ConfigurePermissionsAndPackages.sh in the root folder of the SDK.

Seems like the demos and the configuration tool (especially the configuration tool) should detect this situation and let the user know they need to run that script.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks for bringing this up. While that seems like a good solution for development, it may be confusing to end-users just trying to run a demo. I will pass these notes onto the development team. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV