cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lone Echo 2 unplayable

enricocerica
Explorer

Hi,

Just got LE2, I previously played LE1 and it was a charm but with LE2, it's just the hell.

No crash at all but it's extremely slow even at low resolution and I don't even envisage to continue my mission as it is totally unpracticable.

I have tried to change all the settings, but no way to get something smooth.

My PC is Windows 10, I7 with 32Gb only SSD storage and RTX 3070.

I tried with Air Link and Virtual Desktop, same issues, lagging a lot !!!

Is there something I should take care of ? Why such a performance difference with LE1 ? With LE1 I used a GTX1070 and performances were way better !

Any suggestion ?
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enricocerica
Explorer

I finished the game and since the changes I made, it was stable until the end.
Thanks for your feedback and help

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

I found quite a lot of arifacting on Airlink on my RTX2080 system at first. I had to move all the detail sliders down to about half way to get a passably sharp image. Once I did that I didn't notice any problems afterwards. Lone Echo (1) runs flawlessly on the same system and I don't notice LE2 being a massive visual upgrade but that's progress for you.

Lone Echo 2 is in fact a massive visual upgrade - it's the most demanding VR game ever made - but you may need to get really close to see it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/qcp2r2/lone_echo_2_best_graphics_in_a_vr_game_and_the/

I sometimes think of my RTX 3090 as the bare minimum to really enjoy the game. And I'm not trying to be funny, sadly. That also goes for using my Rift CV1 ss 2.0 (res = 17 mill pixels per frame for both eyes), where I don't lose performance due to any streaming etc., but still struggle to get 90 fps (maxed out settings in-game, but with TAA and no MSAA). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Thanks for your feedback,

PhysiX was set on the GTX1070 instead of the RTX3070 in the Nvidia control panel and this were the settings I used with all the previous games without any problem.

So I set PhysiX on the RTX3070 and performances are way better, at least for now. BTW, I can't go over Medium quality.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@enricocerica wrote:

My PC is Windows 10, I7 with 32Gb only SSD storage and RTX 3070.

I tried with Air Link and Virtual Desktop, same issues, lagging a lot !!!

Is there something I should take care of ? Why such a performance difference with LE1 ? With LE1 I used a GTX1070 and performances were way better !

Any suggestion ?

I played LE1 with a lowly 980 and it ran beautifully and flawless. Granted, it took quite a bit of tweaking with the settings! I was tethered with my Rift CV1.

For LE2, I play it with my laptop which is running an RTX 2070, and it also runs beautifully and flawlessly. This time, without the need for tweaking of the settings. I play it tethered with Quest 2.

You don't need the latest and greatest GPU to enjoy this title in all its glory. However, running it wirelessly with Air Link or Virtual Desktop will most certainly cause performance issues (especially visually). If you really want to run it wirelessly with one of those solutions then you need to do all the tricks:

• Connect an Ethernet cable to your PC directly from your router or modem.
  • Make sure your wireless router is sending the highest possible bit rate (check YouTube for recommended settings here).
  • Make sure your PC and VR usage are in the same room (or at least very near) your wireless router/modem.

I am able to get great performance when I take all of those steps to play Lone Echo 2 wirelessly. But I often get lazy since my VR Room is farther away from my router and modem; thus I often opt to just tether my Quest 2 to my VR laptop using a cable. It runs flawlessly that way.

Good luck! 😁

Good to hear you got some better performance. 

Lone Echo 2 should work great with the RTX 3070 - you should be able to max out the settings, but I'd keep away from the MSAA and use TAA instead. TAA does not cost much performance, but 4xMSAA will severely reduce performance. 

Performance will mostly depend on the res - but the lower the res, the more blurry the game becomes, so finding the right balance for a specific rig does take time. 

I'm using 80 Hz for this game, as every drop of performance counts - and I can get solid 80 fps (mostly) with a res of about 18 mill pixels per frame for both eyes (=ss 2.0 with the CV1 or res 200% with SteamVR). If you lower the res 25 - 30% compared to me, you may be able to achieve 80 fps too - and the game should still look beyond awesome.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Ok, it seems stable now using VD with medium res. Some texture loading delay as other already reported but all in all the experience is good 😉

Thanks

enricocerica
Explorer

I finished the game and since the changes I made, it was stable until the end.
Thanks for your feedback and help