cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIDI input device

Muszti
Protege

hello
Is it possible to Input a midi device with cable or bluetooth to Oculus Quest 2 ?
I have a Unity plugin that builds for android and it can recieve the MIDI input
but When I try the same on Quest 2 it does not show input devices
Maybe there's some way to set up MIDI input?

9 REPLIES 9

matt.x.newell
Explorer

There's apparently a Bluetooth patch for Keijiro Takahashi's MidiJack plugin, though I haven't tried it myself. I'd love to be able to plug my MIDI keyboard directly into the Quest like I do with my Android phone.

https://github.com/keijiro/MidiJack/pull/19

vivienne.amm
Honored Guest

usangio
Explorer

Hi, i would be very interested about midi implementation of Oculus or Vr in general. Do you have any news?

Hey there @usangio! Currently we have no plans to integrate the use of MIDI devices on our end, however always keep an eye out for games or apps that have the ability to utilize these sorts of tools. Hope you're having a good day!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Wildgoose789
Explorer

Hi, did anyone get any further with this as I have a similar question...

I am using a Mac (I know - it's not ideal). I have a unity project using Keijiro Takahashi's new Minis plugin that works fine when running the scene - midi input from a keyboard successful. However I want to be able to get this working on the Quest 2. 

Does anyone either have a workaround so that unity playmode will work in quest 2 from Mac (new M2 MacBook Pro) as at the moment I can build and run but not connect via play. OR even better does anyone have a solution where the quest will accept input from a midi piano connected via cable? 

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Hello! Unfortunately, the Minis Plugin is incompatible with Android systems, including the Quest 2 (system requirements of the plugin: Windows, macOS, and Linux only). Therefore, the Minis Plugin will not function if you attempt to connect your piano to the Quest for input.

However, I used the USB Midi Android Plugin available on the Unity Asset Store (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/audio/usb-midi-android-plugin-211036 ) to connect piano via cable to the Quest 2 and it works like a charm.

That's really helpful thank you - stops me continuing down a dead end path!

Also if you have any suggestions as to the best way to integrate piano sounds / samples into unity please let me know!

Thanks again

Also, (and sorry for the many questions) the instructions that come with this are fairly thin, having followed them I am not getting any joy - if you could elaborate on how you got it to work I would very much appreciate!

Sorry to persist but do you have any further info on implementation for this? (Not sounds just quest recognising input) Thank you!