cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Flight Simulator 2020 causes quest 2 lockup with Oculus Software Version 39

Greetings,

My situation is as follows, and occurs regardless of whether I am using air link or a link cable. This began after Oculus quest software version 37 was upgraded to v39.

I am connected to my pc and viewing the desktop. I launch Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and about half way through the load process my link connection freezes. Hitting alt-tab on an attached keyboard to move “focus” from MSFS to anything else restores the link connection and I can use the desktop through the VR headset again. Any restoration of focus to the MSFS window results in an immediate freeze of my link connection. This is reliably repeatable.

Again, I had no issues playing Flight Simulator 2020 in VR when running Oculus Software version 37, but as soon as I got my update to Oculus Software Version 39, I could no longer play Flight Simulator 2020 in VR. 

Steps I've taken that have not resolved the issue:

Reinstalled FS2020
Downgraded to Windows 10.
Changed my registry key for the VR runtimes to SteamVR, then OculusVR, then WMR, then back to OculusVR.
Re-upgraded to windows 11.
Tried all three registry changes for the VR runtimes again.

My current hardware is:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7GHz Processor
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6
  • 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM

I'd like to try to downgrade to oculus quest software version 37 again but I don't know where to get the files and am not sure if I need to downgrade just the quest 2 with an APK or the Desktop application or both. 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ok, I have an update. It's working perfectly now. I got update 41 a couple days ago and was encouraged by a brief ability to play FS2020 for about a minute before the screen locked up and my FA-18 crashed into the ground. After that I couldn't play at all. I checked my nvidia experience app again and found that there was just recently an update to the game ready driver. I had issues with the nvidia experience app failing to download the updated driver. Shortly after that I went to the nvidia site and downloaded the latest game ready driver for my video card and installed it. Since doing that this morning, I have been able to play and restart and play again countless times today and am back flying in VR with no issue. I even did Mach 10 in the Darkstar and can confirm the absolute altitude limit in the game is just above 275,000 ft. Please give this a try if you haven't already. If you are running a 3070 or probably any 30 series RTX card, you should install version 516.59. As part of the install of the driver from the direct download from the website it looked like it replaced the nvidia control panel and geforce experience. I'm not sure replacing those apps made any difference but thought you'd like to know exactly what changed. 

Good luck and let me know if this worked for you!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey TheOriginalPsychron! Thanks for bringing this to our attention! We'd love to get your MSFS 2020 to work properly! First we would like to make sure of the following to see if these could be causing MSFS 2020 to freeze up! Please check the following:

• Are you running any programs that aren't necessary to play MSFS 2020? If so, please consider closing any extra programs or windows open! 
  • Have you updated your graphics drivers? If its been some time since you last updated your drivers, please do so to make sure your performance is to the best of your cards ability
  • Are you using any programs like MSI Afterburner or any other Overclocking software? It is recommended when using Air Link or Link Cable to have your GPU and CPU set to the default standard instead of having your components overclocked.
  • Do you have any extra USB device plugged in that aren't required for playing MSFS 2020? This step only matters for using the Link Cable and is recommended to have the least amount of USB devices plugged into your PC to send a majority of the power to the Link Cable
  • Are you enrolled in the Oculus PTC? If so, please opt out as it has been know to cause performance issues with Air Link and Link Cable capabilities.

After you have made sure that you meet all of the above, we then recommend checking to see if you have the most up-to-date Oculus Drivers! Please complete the following steps:

1. Close the Oculus app.
  2. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run command.
  3. Enter C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers.
  4. Open oculus-driver.
  5. Open the Oculus app and then try to connect your headset again. 

We hope this helps! If not, please consider submitting a support ticket through the link here: https://metaque.st/Support! There we will be able to do more in-depth troubleshooting, we'll be able to request log files as we cannot receive files in our Community Forums. With the log files, we will be able to take a deeper look into what could be causing this to happen! Here is a link to an article describing the steps in order to collect your log files: How to Collect Log Files! The steps you'll need will be the 2nd half of steps, not the setup logs! When submitting your support ticket, please attach your Log files and include all the steps you have taken in attempt to get this issue resolved to speed up the process! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Well, I followed all these steps and opened a ticket with support. They have collected logs from me 4 times and I am now waiting while they do additional research. The ETA on that is 3-5 days. We'll see what happens, but so far, nothing has worked. 

Following as I have the exact same issue.  It was working just fine before and now the headset freezes.  I've done all of the above steps as well with no resolution.

Would love to know how you opened a ticket.  I just tried to get support through Chat and they told me that Flight sim isn't supported and they couldn't help. 

I avoid chat as the primary contact method for reasons like that and others. I opened a request and attached the log files, then basically copied and pasted my post almost verbatim into the support request. So far, I have heard nothing back after being told they would require a few more days to investigate. I think today makes business day 5 which was the max extent of the notified waiting period before they got back to me. I'll see what happens. As with any support department, you have to get past the front lines who may or may not be interested in doing their job by trying repeatedly until you get someone who actually cares about supporting the customer base. I think the most important thing to remind them of, this worked under version 37 and has been broken since the oculus version 38 software release. 

Well this is the response I got:
"I see here that you were currently using a Windows 11. Relatively, I'd like to let you know that Windows 11 is currently not supported by any Meta products. With that being said, I highly suggest you to please try to revert your operating system to Windows 10...."

I've worked in I.T. for close to 30 years.  Never in my career would I suggest to someone to revert their entire **bleep**ing operating system.  What an absolute joke.  What average user would even know how to do that?  I sent them a response with some choice colorful metaphors and will be looking for a different headset.  

I've been in IT for about the same amount of time. I agree with you. Suggesting Windows 11 isn't supported is the lazy way out, used by people who don't want to do the work. Luckily for me, due to early adopter fears, the system I had was just updated to 11 and I had the ability to downgrade, so when they gave me that line, I reverted to 10, reinstalled everything, went through all the same steps they'd given me before, and provided additional logs. That's where I am now. Waiting for them to reply. Like you, I am tempted to look for another headset if this is the kind of support we're going to get. 

Agree with the statement. Downgrading to an older operating system is simply wrong advice. Feels like a hack to run legacy software. Oculus team please resolve this as the FS2020 VR experience was one of the primary reasons of buying the Quest 2.

Ok, I have an update. It's working perfectly now. I got update 41 a couple days ago and was encouraged by a brief ability to play FS2020 for about a minute before the screen locked up and my FA-18 crashed into the ground. After that I couldn't play at all. I checked my nvidia experience app again and found that there was just recently an update to the game ready driver. I had issues with the nvidia experience app failing to download the updated driver. Shortly after that I went to the nvidia site and downloaded the latest game ready driver for my video card and installed it. Since doing that this morning, I have been able to play and restart and play again countless times today and am back flying in VR with no issue. I even did Mach 10 in the Darkstar and can confirm the absolute altitude limit in the game is just above 275,000 ft. Please give this a try if you haven't already. If you are running a 3070 or probably any 30 series RTX card, you should install version 516.59. As part of the install of the driver from the direct download from the website it looked like it replaced the nvidia control panel and geforce experience. I'm not sure replacing those apps made any difference but thought you'd like to know exactly what changed. 

Good luck and let me know if this worked for you!