cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSI Laptop Black Screen After 30 Sec. FIXED

GeoGus
Honored Guest
I have an MSI GE63 Raider RGB 8RF laptop with the Nvidia GTX 1070  and  had experienced the black screen issue after approximately 30 seconds with my Oculus Rift S. The only workaround had been to use the Nvidia  417.71 driver. Anything newer than the 417.71 driver would result in the black screen issue. I opened a Tech Support ticket with MSI and they emailed me an updated VBIOS for my GTX 1070. My VBIOS version was 86.04.7D.00.29. The updated VBIOS is 86.04.7D.00.37. I simply unzipped the file they sent me and executed the BAT. file contained within.  I  then updated my Nvidia driver to the current one which is 436.15 and all is well, no more black screen.  
5 REPLIES 5

Coldin
Honored Guest
Just to add to this, I also recently went through the same thing and got an updated vBios from MSI. I actually got an explanation from the MSI tech, though I don't completely understand how it all fits together.

"This issue occurred as the newer driver disabled HDCP (high definition copyright protection) over the displayport connection. Its an issue that they likely didn't consider since the Rift S is a fairly new HMD."

MikePixelPusher
Protege
Fixed my issues too!
System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

Damack911
Honored Guest
Can you fellas add the link for the BIOS?  I have the same computer and having the same issues 🙂 This is super frustrating 

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Have a look here = https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=Uploads&manufacturer=&model=GTX+1070+Mobile&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

But be aware it's at your own risk mate 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

louspawn10
Honored Guest
After spending days trying many different things without any success, the thing that worked for me was updating the VBIOS of the graphics card. I have also an MSI GE63 Raider RGB 8RF laptop with an Nvidia GTX 1070 GPU and I found the necessary files for the update on the official support page of the model under Firmware (https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE63-Raider-RGB-8RF/support#firmware). It contains also instructions on how to do it.