cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta Pro Air link crashes on start

john.stathakis
Explorer

Please help I have tried everything...

Everything works fine on the wired connection, but when I use Air Link then my headset immediately crashes. I get weird wavy lines on the edges of my view and then I crash out of Air link with the message "Air Link Connection lost". I have a NVidia GeForce RTX 3070 running on Alienware X17 R1, and a wifi 6E modem. It used to work fine 2 months ago, but does not work now, after a replacement headset (overheating) and a clean PC - I was really enjoying playing Asgard's Wrath, but can't play it now as the game requires too much physical movement and I'll end up ripping my computer off the shelf.

Things I've tried (with guidance from Meta support):

- Ensured I have all of the latest drivers and Windows updates

- Ensured PC, headset and router in the same room with line of sight, ethernet connection between PC and router

- Reinstalled Oculus app

- Factory reset the headset

- Downgraded grahics drivers to an earlier version

- Tried different combinations of starting the headset first, then last, etc, Toggled the air link slider multiple times

- Updating the registry to force HEVC (and then reverting back)

- Selective boot to disable potentially conflicting services

- Provided my logs to Meta for review

- Joined the Public Test Channel

- Analysed the network using RouteThis

Is there anything else I can try? I also want to demo the system to some friends/colleagues on Monday and would really like to show off the air link as its the killer feature IMO. 

5 REPLIES 5

john.stathakis
Explorer

I've also tried reducing the bandwidth limit to the lowest amount

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@john.stathakis  I've also had some issues since v49 updates starting up Air Link.  It normally works but often I get the same as you, crashes back to Quest home and get the message Air Link connection lost.

First of all, do not opt into the beta PTC, it's worse.  If you've been going back and forth a few times you're probably best to download the oculus desktop app from the support website and run a Repair.

Some tricks I've found that help when I get kicked back into the Quest home is to go to the Oculus desktop app settings/beta tab and on the top, select Restart Oculus software.  After it restarts try launching Link again.  If it does not launch then try launching again.  I sometimes find if I do this 2-3 times it starts up ok.

Another trick that seems to work is to initially start up your Quest without starting up the desktop app.  Then select to launch Air Link and it should startup the desktop app and may let you launch it.

All a bit painful right now but once I've got Air Link to launch it works perfectly.  Hopefully future updates will fix this.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

john.stathakis
Explorer

Thanks Tom, it has taken two days of solid tinkering and I finally found the problem. McAfee was blocking ports that were needed.  

Additionally, the Meta support team were very helpful in troubleshooting and went through all of the items in my list above, so it might have been a compound issue.

@john.stathakis wrote:

Thanks Tom, it has taken two days of solid tinkering and I finally found the problem. McAfee was blocking ports that were needed.  

Good to hear mate.  I'm just using the standard windows 11 defender and this does not seem to block Air Link.  Again, most of the time it starts up ok, just not all of the time, lol!  Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers