cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta Quest Link doesn't work correctly on my Laptop

Roomper
Explorer

When I launch MetaLink, I see a black loading screen. Although the connection to the PC has been established, but the application is not visible in My Meta Quest 3.

I tried running games through Steam from my PC. The game starts and the sound play through my headset, but there's no image. I think it might be due to my integrated graphics card.

My Laptop configuration:

Acer Nitro AN515-45-R8QQW

Windows 11,

AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX

64GB RAM,

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 8GB laptop,

built-in AMD Radeon Graphics.

I've updated all drivers, but when I disable the integrated AMD graphics, MetaLink works fine and broadcasts an image, but games are slowing down. AirLink by wi-fi works well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Does anyone know if there's a way to run Steam games over cable USB without using MetaLink? SteamLink only works with Wi-Fi.

@Roomper  The only other wired option I'm aware of is ALVR.  This is supposed to work wireless with wifi or wired with a usb3 cable.  I've never tried it but some seem to think it works ok.

https://github.com/alvr-org/ALVR/wiki/ALVR-wired-setup-(ALVR-over-USB)

I still think you should be able to use Link without going through all the hoops you seem to have needed to do.  Maybe try going to the AMD user forum and see if others have found solutions.  Seems like a Driver issue to me but I don't really know since I'm an intel/nvidia user. 

Your best option may be to go wireless with Air Link or Virtual Desktop.  Even if you don't have a good home router/wifi setup to allow you to connect your laptop to your router with ethernet cable, you could look at using an inexpensive external wifi6 router or a separate unit like the D-Link Air Bridge.  Both would cost less than $100 and will allow you to experience the freedom of wireless PCVR.  I mainly use Air Link with my Q3 for most PCVR apps and use a 10000mahr 30w Romoss pack with a short battery lead for extended runtimes.  I mainly use Link with my QPro for flight and racing sims because I think this works a bit better, but the difference is not all that significant tbh.

Anyway, sorry I don't think I can be of further help so I'll sign off of this thread now.  Good luck mate and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Roomper! We're excited to see your interest in PCVR gaming, and we're eager to get you connected! For a bit of clarification, have you ever been able to successfully connect your headset to this PC in the past? Does your PC meet all of the full requirements to support Meta Quest Link, as listed right here? What cable are you using for this connection; where was it purchased from? Lastly, what specific error message are you running into? By the way, we did want to mention that we recommend relying on your dedicated GPU for Quest Link, as we've seen some users have issues with integrated graphics. Please keep us updated when you get a chance!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Roomper
Explorer

I have not used Quest Link on this laptop before. Everything works fine on desktop PC without dual video card (without integrated video). The configuration of the laptop corresponds to the specified ones, and I used different cables. A standard error occurs on the right bottom of the screen - Quest Link does not work properly.

I also tried redirecting in Windows using GPU for Occulus apps from "Auto" to "Dedicated (Geforce RTX 3080 GeForce)", but it didn't help either. Why can't Oculus apps use my RTX 3080 by default? Is there any upcoming updates for the Oculus app in the future?

Try going into your nvidia control panel global 3d settings and at the top, select to use your nvidia gpu.  This was all I needed to do with my old Alienware laptop w/integrated and nvidia gpu's.  I have heard that some laptop users have needed to go into their bios and actually disable the integrated gpu. 

Otherwise, I suggest you contact meta support including your log files to see if they can identify what's causing your issue(s).  Good luck mate and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @TomCgcmfc! We appreciate you sharing your suggestions to try to help our community member! @Roomper Awesome! Thank you for providing those details. To help us get a better understanding, what other troubleshooting have you already tried? 

With this information, we'll be able to quickly find the best solution. We hope to hear from you soon! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hey hey @Roomper! We're just checking in to see whether you still needed assistance. We'd love to help you resume to exploring the cool world of VR! 

Roomper
Explorer

@TomCgcmfc Thanks for the answers and advice. I tried everything you suggested, but it didn't help me. I can't disable the graphics card in BIOS because there is no such options.

I have a friend who has an Alienware laptop with integrated graphics from Intel, and he doesn't have any problems like that. But I have AMD integrated graphics.

The only solution that worked for me was to disable the integrated video graphics in Windows and use an additional video adapter. In my case, I used a Dell laptop computer docking station with another monitor connected.

Does anyone know if there's a way to run Steam games over cable USB without using MetaLink? SteamLink only works with Wi-Fi.

@Roomper- Integrated graphics cards generally don't work well with the Meta Quest Link app, so that's great your were able to disable it! However, if all the games are slow as a result, there's another option we can try:

Ensure Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe is using the same graphics device as their 2D Desktop. To fix this:

1. Go to Windows Settings > System  > Display > Graphics Settings

2. Click Graphics performance preference

3. Click Choose an app to set preference > Desktop app

4. Locate your OVRServer_x64.exe. By default, this will be located as follows:
          C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe

5. Click Add

6. Set this to Power Saving then close the settings menu and click Save

• If this does not work or is already the setting selected, Performance Mode can be tried instead

7. Reset the computer and test VR Desktop

Please let us know if this helps!

@Roomper  The only other wired option I'm aware of is ALVR.  This is supposed to work wireless with wifi or wired with a usb3 cable.  I've never tried it but some seem to think it works ok.

https://github.com/alvr-org/ALVR/wiki/ALVR-wired-setup-(ALVR-over-USB)

I still think you should be able to use Link without going through all the hoops you seem to have needed to do.  Maybe try going to the AMD user forum and see if others have found solutions.  Seems like a Driver issue to me but I don't really know since I'm an intel/nvidia user. 

Your best option may be to go wireless with Air Link or Virtual Desktop.  Even if you don't have a good home router/wifi setup to allow you to connect your laptop to your router with ethernet cable, you could look at using an inexpensive external wifi6 router or a separate unit like the D-Link Air Bridge.  Both would cost less than $100 and will allow you to experience the freedom of wireless PCVR.  I mainly use Air Link with my Q3 for most PCVR apps and use a 10000mahr 30w Romoss pack with a short battery lead for extended runtimes.  I mainly use Link with my QPro for flight and racing sims because I think this works a bit better, but the difference is not all that significant tbh.

Anyway, sorry I don't think I can be of further help so I'll sign off of this thread now.  Good luck mate and cheers.

Thank you very much, my friend! I wish you all the best in your life. The AMD driver update has solved the issue. And at the same time, I don't need to disable the integrated AMD graphics card. However, I am still unable to see my desktop, which is black. But I can run games through SteamVR and the games run smoothly without any problems. . Although I had previously updated all the drivers from the official Acer website, apparently that was not enough.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?