cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini DisplayPort -> HDMI Adaptor compatible w/ Retail Rift?

DJJoeJoe
Honored Guest
My video card, the recommended 970gtx, only has 1 HDMI port. So I am wondering if an adapter for my display ports will work/be needed etc. I believe some adaptors were provided for the developer kits in the past, but I have no expectations of this being the case for the final product so I'd like to sort it out ahead of time.

I'm currently looking into this Monoprice Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDTV Cable.

From the cursory searching so far I'm seeing things involving passive and active converters for various things, and I just want to know what I'm getting myself into hopefully.

cheers.
15 REPLIES 15

cybereality
Grand Champion
Well, first off, that cable won't work. You'll need an adapter. I tried with a passive full-size DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and it seemed to work file. I would bet something like this would be good (get the 4K compatible version to be safe):

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B00K0UDJFI/

bqrvnusrigle.jpg
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
DJJoeJoe, depending on manufacturer/model, your 970gtx probably has a DVI-I port as well.  You should be able to put a passive DVI-to-HDMI adapter on there, which will directly give you another native HDMI port.

matskatsaba
Adventurer
i'm using apple's thunderbolt to hdmi, works like a boss.

Emyxia
Explorer

I tried with a passive full-size DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and it seemed to work file.

That's nice to know. I was a bit unsure since the support page says you need to plug the Rift directly into the HDMI port. Do you know why it says that by the way? Plugging an HDMI device into DisplayPort doesn't degrade performance as I understand it. The DP spec is on par/better.

I don't use my HDMI port for anything at the moment, but it died recently on my MSI GTX970 and I don't really feel like sending it away to MSI this close to launch, since it could take a couple of weeks to get it back.

DJJoeJoe
Honored Guest

Emyxia said:

That's nice to know. I was a bit unsure since the support page says you need to plug the Rift directly into the HDMI port. Do you know why it says that by the way? Plugging an HDMI device into DisplayPort doesn't degrade performance as I understand it. The DP spec is on par/better.

That's part of what threw me, kinda got me worried since all versions of the 970 only seem to have 1 hdmi port, as do most nvidia cards :S 

Probably a typo and they mean to imply you need direct output from your gpu, and probably not vga 😉

DJJoeJoe, depending on manufacturer/model, your 970gtx probably has a DVI-I port as well.  You should be able to put a passive DVI-to-HDMI adapter on there, which will directly give you another native HDMI port.

Decent option, but I'm currently using that port for my second monitor. I think the 3 min-display ports are my easiest options here.cybereality said:

Well, first off, that cable won't work. You'll need an adapter.

*facepalm. Of course, thanks that's actually something that I must have been overlooking.

So I have a second question now, what I'm seeing are passive products that can hit 4k, and active products that seem to provide audio support. I'd assume passive does not transmit audio through the hdmi to the rifts built in headphones? I can always just use my own headphones of course but I'd like to at least try the rifts for a bit, plus I bet that they are lighter on my ears than my big headphones (I often don't need to qipe my head around currently with my headphones so being big is ok).

1. Is audio transmitted via both passive and active adapters?
2.Are adapters that advertise '4k ready' just bragging about something meaningless? (I bet ALL these things support whatever resolutions/datarates...)

Anonymous
Not applicable

DJJoeJoe said:

I'd assume passive does not transmit audio through the hdmi to the rifts built in headphones? 

Passive should transmit audio just the same as active, but the Rift gets its audio via USB, so it's irrelevant.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am waiting for new Gtx 10xx series. My 650ti has 2 DVI port. Can I use DVI to hdmi for the oculus while waiting new card ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

nutkunkup said:

I am waiting for new Gtx 10xx series. My 650ti has 2 DVI port. Can I use DVI to hdmi for the oculus while waiting new card ?

DVI-to-HDMI should work absolutely fine, as it's literally just a rearrangement of wires with no signal conversion involved.  (I haven't got my hands on a CV1 yet, but I know of no reason this shouldn't work, and it's how I intend to hook mine up.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

nutkunkup said:

DVI-to-HDMI should work absolutely fine, as it's literally just a rearrangement of wires with no signal conversion involved.  (I haven't got my hands on a CV1 yet, but I know of no reason this shouldn't work, and it's how I intend to hook mine up.)

Awesome !! thank you I will try this when the rift reach me in May......... 😞