cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 6yr old charged over $150 worth of ingame Rec Room tokens

EmanEwlin
Honored Guest

From last night to today , I noticed my son charged around $150 worth of Rec Room tokens.  I wanted to die.  Hes a smart kid and knows better to ask for things,  but did not realize this was actually going to charge my credit card and I have no idea how to get a refund. Please help as this is a lot of money . Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

You're not allowed to use the Quest 2 if you're younger than 13 years. It's clearly stated by Meta.

If you choose to break these rules and let a small kid use your hmd, then you take 100% of the responsibility for whatever actions the kid performs. You may even subject your kid to abuse by adults when you leave your young child alone in a social app - be very aware of that. 

That said, I let my son use VR too, but I do not leave him alone for even a minute and I take full responsibility for his safety. I guess you never saw videos like these:

There's little to misunderstand here, right?

"Designed for Age 13+

Meta VR Systems are not toys and must not be used by children under 13." 

Source: https://www.oculus.com/safety-center/

Leaving a 6 year old alone in VR is really bad parenting - or a complete lack of parenting. 2c. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Hi @EmanEwlin 

Make a support ticket. Meta may be able to help out but I believe this kind of thing is dealt with on a case-by case basis. I suggest you also contact your bank, they may want to be involved on your behalf.

If a child as young as 6 is using Rec Room in VR or on PC or other device, it's important that they're not using it unsupervised, not just because of the potential financial costs but probably more importantly because of the risks inherent in unsupervised social activity.

Rec Room carries an age rating of 9+ on Steam, and in addition, Meta has a minimum age requirement of 13 for using the headset, regardless of the app's rating.

Both platforms have security features to keep your credit card safe. In the case of the Quest, you have the option of a PIN or 'unlock pattern' to enter when making a transaction. Meta also have parental controls so that individual apps can be blocked.

Even for children 13 and over, I would suggest they have their own account and not use that of an adult. The Quest allows 3 accounts to be added in addition to the headset owner's 'Admin account'. This is important for anyone using social applications because their age is more accurately represented and in-app moderators, for example, can deal appropriately.

But I think the bottom line is 6 is way too young to be using the headset, with or without supervision, as @RuneSR2 says, VR headsets aren't designed for young heads and developing young eyes. Whatever moderation is provided in-app, it's unlikely to be enough to completely safe-guard against the risks.

Who said he was alone?   Your comment is way out of line.  My kid is never alone when we let him use the system.  All be did was purchase items in the game to play with and did not realize it was being charged to my card.  He's always under supervision.  Funny thing is , pretty much 90% of the VR community that I can hear , areunder 13yrs old.  

GiGi_109
Explorer

First of all I just want to say a 6 year old shouldn’t even be on a VR headset for many reason but that is a parent by parent basis….BUT they definitely should NOT be in Rec room or any other social multi player game. That’s like giving your 6 year old a Facebook account or Instagram! Would you do that? I hope not! I hope you understand and the dangers of this! Not everyone in the world is normal or kind! I highly suggest you do your research before letting your 6 year old in social apps!

I have to enter a code every time I buy something in the Meta Store. How could your kid buy so much if you were sitting right next to him and constantly monitored what he was doing?

If the purchases were done inside Rec Room and not through the Meta Store, try to contact the Rec Room developers - then I don't think Meta can help you.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

My kid just did the same and I have to input a code on my purchases confused how they could buy in game currency without it. 

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?