cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My IPD is 56.2. Will I have problems with an Oculus Quest 2?

LooCfur
Honored Guest
5 REPLIES 5

LooCfur
Honored Guest

Also, what I read says 95% of adult IPDs range from 53mm-70mm. The oculus quest site lies saying 95% of adults is 56mm-70mm. It seems really stupid. That's of adults. What about the teenagers that want to use it? Their IPD ranges are excluding a huge percentage of the population. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

@LooCfur wrote:

This makes it sound like it only goes down to 58mm. https://support.oculus.com/articles/getting-started/getting-started-with-quest-2/ipd-quest-2/

Unlike the Rift CV1 and Quest 1 (which have analog sliders), the Quest 2 IPD has only 3 positions: 58mm, 63mm and 68mm. With a slider you want a good range, but when the values are fixed to just three, it's best to not have extreme values either end where few people are.

For some people, incorrect IPD might be a problem. For others, it's not. The Rift-S and Go are fixed 63mm (no physical adjustment). I'm about 69mm and I can use them both fine, although I prefer CV1 or Quest 2's larger values.

There's an interesting paper on IPD ranges based on age, gender and race here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/229084829_Variation_and_extrema_of_human_interpupillary_dis...

Some other headsets:

• HP Reverb G2 - 60 to 68
  • Rift CV1 - 58 to 71
  • Quest 1 - 56 to 70
  • Vive - 61 to 72
  • Index - 58 to 70
  • Odyssey Plus - 60 to 72
  • Acer WMR - 59 to 67
  • PSVR - 58 to 70
  • Cosmos - 61 to 73

Although that's just a quick search, I haven't checked which of those are software based and which have real hardware IPD adjustment. (Rift CV1, Quest 1 and Reverb G2 are hardware IPD, I have them)

So the Quest 2 only going down to 58mm isn't that bad when compared to most other headsets.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

So do you think my IPD of 56.2mm is going to be a problem when using the quest 2?  My eyes might be a bit close together, but even your link says that adults tend to range from 50mm to 75mm. It seems like the people making VR are excluding a whole lot of people. Especially kids/teenagers, who would probably be most interested.  Worse, the kids/teens may not realize why VR doesn't work well for them, and develop a negative  bias for VR In general. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@LooCfur  If you’re close on ipd limits buy from Amazon so it’s easy to return for a refund if it does not work for you.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

@smartglasseshub.com wrote:
  • PSVR and HP Reverb G2 also have specific ranges but lack manual adjustments.

The HP Reverb G2 has the same slider style manual adjustment of IPD as the Rift CV1 and Quest 1.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2