cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Oculas Rift 2 shows purple squares on AMD Graphics Card but works fine on an NVIDIA graphics card

CoreyO_
Honored Guest

Hello,

Over the past few months, my Oculus was working fine on an AMD GPU. However, suddenly it started showing purple, white & green pixels/squares across its display. No updates have been done to the AMD Software to cause this.

If I change the GPU to an NVIDIA one it works fine, is there a solution to my AMD GPU?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TheLegend27
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Okay, so you got a Gigabyte, R9 270X WindForce 3X OC. That one is definitely way out of spec. It has 2gb of VRAM, and the standard for Rift should be 4 or more. I know you had it working before, but with the numerous amounts of Windows Kernel errors, discontinued drivers, and being on Windows 11, you might want to just use the 750 Ti if it works. That one is also below minimum spec, but if it works for you, then that's great!

Sorry I couldn't help with the fix, but I hope the 750 Ti does you well until you find the time to upgrade.

Technology, at a certain level of sophistication, is indistinguishable from magic. - some wise guy or something probably

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

TheLegend27
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Definitely sounds like a driver issue. My 5700XT would do the same thing. Random stray pixels, flickering, sometimes my entire screen would just turn a tint of green. This can also happen if you're overclocking or undervolting. You can try checking your Radeon settings and reset to default if you can, just to test it. Make note of your settings though, so you can do process of elimination on your settings if you need to.

What driver version is your GPU on, and which AMD GPU do you have? What are the temps at when the artifacts start appearing? Which Windows update are you on? Does this only happen in VR, or does this happen outside of VR too during desktop gaming?

Technology, at a certain level of sophistication, is indistinguishable from magic. - some wise guy or something probably

GPU Version: 21.5.2 (Can't go any newer, also tried reverting)
GPU Type: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Windows Update: Windows 11 Pro (Latest Insider Build)
Yes, this only happens in VR

If by artifacts you are referencing the pixels, its whenever its plugged into to the GPU at any tempreture.

TheLegend27
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Well, it couldn't be that your GPU is dying then, if it only happens in VR. I'm thinking it's most likely a dying cable. Is it possible for you to try with a different CV1 cable? The card you have (or at least I'm assuming you have, an R9 290X) is above minimum spec, so you should be fine there. It's worth noting that our software doesn't support Windows 11 yet, so you may have some issues in getting it to work how you want. AMD also pulled the plug on Fury, 200 and 300 series cards awhile back, so if it does end up being an unsupported driver issue, you'll run into issues there too, since there are no further releases from the 21.5.2 version.

Anything you can think of between when it was working, and when it started acting up? Any driver changes, updates, software updates, etc? Does it artifact in SteamVR too, or just through our software? Are the artifacts visible on your monitor too, or just through the headset?

It couldn't be that the cable is dying because if I plug in an older NVIDIA Graphics Card it powers up and works.

No driver changes or software updates etc, its the same in SteamVR but no artifacts are visible on the monitor only through the headset

TheLegend27
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Can you let me know the exact R9 200 series card you have? Also, which NVIDIA card are you using when it works (the exact model)? Did you ever factory reset your Radeon Software back to default settings? Any tweaking done in there could potentially cause artifacts to appear, especially if you overclock, underclock, undervolt, or use VSR. In the Radeon Software, you can export your Snap Settings, which is pretty much just a settings profile you can import again later. Then the reset button is right under that. Both options are in the System tab, if you click on the Settings icon in the top right of the app.

Actually, while you're there, can you tell me the version of your Radeon Software? It could be that the software itself is out of date too. I've actually had that issue before and it was a pain to find an update for it.

Check the software version first before the reset, and let me know, I'll double check what it should be and then we can move onto resetting the software if we need to afterwards.

Is there any way to resolve this issue? So I can use my AMD GPU again?

I believe its the normal Radeaon R9 200 (Which did work before)

The NIVIDA Card I have is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Current Radeon Software version is 21.5.1 (I have tried 21.5.2 as well)

The system isn't overclocked or anything like that either.

CoreyO_
Honored Guest

A regular error that comes up in the console is this:

20/04 17:52:02.740 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default] [DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on AMD adapter while setting to HighPerformance. Error: 3