cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Quest 2 left controller started having a weird drifting problem

MaxShadow09
Sightseer

Yesterday it was working fine. Today, I booted my quest 2, and now it has a weird drifting problem. It seems to be related to the left stick tactile sensor. If I touch the stick, it starts sending a "down" input signal intermittently. Even if I push the stick slightly up, it sends a down signal, until I push the stick further. If I don't touch the stick, it doesn't have any drifting. Even in the Oculus Home, if I touch the stick slightly, I can constantly hear the sound it makes when you start moving the stick, like if the signal was switching between 0 and 1 every few milliseconds. Has anyone experienced this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's very common. If the controllers are under warranty, have them replaced. Google for other suggestions if not. You can try compressed air, electrical contact cleaner or, if you are technically adept, the joystick modules can be replaced cheaply and without soldering.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MaxShadow09
Sightseer

It's worth noting that this problem cannot be solved with calibration. The intermittent signal sometimes reaches 50% of the input range. I would need to set a deadzone of around 70% to prevent drifting, that's barely usable.

It's very common. If the controllers are under warranty, have them replaced. Google for other suggestions if not. You can try compressed air, electrical contact cleaner or, if you are technically adept, the joystick modules can be replaced cheaply and without soldering.

Sadly, having them replaced is not an option. I'm from Argentina, sending anything abroad is difficult. The headset is relatively new, about a year since I bought it, and I don't use it very often. It wasn't even gradual degradation, these problems appeared overnight. So I guess my only option is fixing it on my own (or buying another one). Where am I supposed to blow with compressed air or apply electrical contact cleaner?

There are plenty of guides just a google away. Several different methods. Reddit and Youtube are good places to start.

Hey @MaxShadow09. Thank you for reaching out and we know that drifting controllers can be a hindrance and can surely take you away from enjoying your VR time, Seeing as a calibration isn't doing the trick, please try to remove the battery for a minimum of 10 minutes to reset the firmware and then place in new batteries; hopefully this does the job.

If the issue still persists, please reach out to our Meta Store Support for assistance via live chat, email, or a callback. They have amazing tools to help you with this issue and can go over warranty options with you if the scenario calls for it. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Always happy to help!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MaxShadow09
Sightseer

I managed to fix it by applying a bit of WD-40 electrical contact cleaner around the stick, like user_901925786032222 suggested. Thanks.

Glad to hear it. It's not a permanent fix but should keep you going for a while at least.

Hey there! We definitely understand how inconvenient stick drift can be! If the issue persists and you'd like some assistance with it, we'd recommend reaching out to our other support team through email or live chat here. They'll be able to provide some in-depth troubleshooting and support so we can help resolve the issue with you! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!