cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Geographic VR app problem

gusz
Honored Guest

I have a Quest 2 256 MB. I believe its updated to latest release firmware. Unlike most Oculus users, I'm not a gamer, and am mainly interested in work uses and experiences, one of which is National Geographic Explore VR, which I've installed.

Unfortunately I can't get the National Geographic app to work. When I start it by clicking on the app with the controller, I get only a view of vertically descending yellow arrows, accompanied by "grocery store" type music.

I can't figure out how to uninstall and reinstall the app either. I can't find any user manual for the National Geographic app, and frankly I can't find a very in-depth description of what the Quest controller buttons do or might do (I have the impression that button functions may differ for different apps).

Help appreciated

--------------

PS: I've previously had two generations of the Samsung Gear VR headsets, which I felt were much easier to learn and use than the Quest 2. The extent and depth of the Quest 2 documentation is inadequate. Depending on the app, the Quest 2 may require an app, and configuration, on a Windows PC and on a mobile phone, which is confusing. The Quest 2 headset is not cheap, and sometimes I think it's mainly a trojan horse to drive purchases on the Oculus app store. When combined with the login requirements, and the impending tracking and onslaught of advertising, I may decide to give it up altogether. Too bad, as VR and AR already have, and will increasingly have, tremendous use potential.

2 REPLIES 2

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there. This does not sound right, and we want to help fix this app issue to get you back in the VR. With these types of software issues, we recommend rebooting the headset or re-installing the app to fix the problem. To uninstall an app, open your Oculus Quest library. Go to the apps section and hover your controller over the "..." menu. There, select uninstall. 

To reboot your headset: 

1. With your headset on, hold the power button on the right side of your headset down until you're prompted with a shut-down screen.

2. Select Restart to reboot your Quest 2 or Quest.

These should fix the problem, however, if they do not, please submit a ticket and a member of our team will get back to you as quickly as possible. We look forward to hearing from you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

markconnollyie
Honored Guest

There is a general problem here with Quest UI standards or lack of them. Each development team seems to be inventing their own!! This leads to terrible usability issues for customers. That said, in this case the problem probably is the the NG app seems to set the origin point in a strange arbitrary position which if you stand up and look around is probably behind you. However, there are no instructions as to how to reset it to a more convenient position….!!