cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound on Oculus Home, Touch Basics and First Contact?

uKER
Adventurer
Basically what the title says.
Since about two weeks ago (guesstimated) I have no sound on Oculus Home, Touch Basics and First Contact.

Strangely, while the Oculus Home environment is dead silent, I do have sound when I bring up the in-game Oculus menu (the one with the screen floating in front of you and the button bar at the bottom).
Also, all other apps work perfectly.
Oddly enough, First Contact is malfunctioning in both its built-in and downloadable versions.

I haven't read about anyone else having this.
Any ideas?
78 REPLIES 78

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey uKER, that's
very unusual. Please try a repair of the Oculus software by downloading
a fresh copy of the setup file from https://www.oculus.com/setup/
, opening it, and selecting the repair option. If you're still having
issues, please contact support at https://support.oculus.com
so we can help you out. Thanks! -Rick

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Sancho_Divine
Explorer
My rift is a couple days old and I had the same issue where my sound would not work on Oculus Home, Pavlov, and other random applications but would work when the Oculus Rift application was turned off altogether.  After many hours of troubleshooting and research, I was able to resolve the issue by going to sound control panel, right clicking on the rift device, going to the tab that has the drop down box that selects audio frequencies, and changing it from 16bit 48000Hz (DVD quality) to 16bit 44100Hz (CD quality) [trying to go off memory so forgive me if I got those numbers botched up].

I am going around and sharing this information because of how frustrating the issue was and how relieving it was when I fixed it.

Hope this helps resolve your issue too!

Harry_Hood
Honored Guest
Also having the same issue, no audio on home or the default Rift applications. Tried switching the audio frequency to 44100Hz and still no audio. Reinstalled the Oculus software twice and still no luck.

uKER
Adventurer
Well, no. Switching from 48 to 44 KHz didn't help. Was worth a try though.
To everyone having the same issue, just curious, what build of Windows are you running?

shanedlm
Honored Guest
I am SO HAPPY to have found this thread!!! I am having the same exact problem, I want to say for about 5-7 days now...not entirely sure.  No audio in Home, First Contact, tutorial and other apps.  (such as, but not limited to, Coco VR and Face Your Fears -- plenty of others I'm sure I just have not discovered yet.)      Changing the frequency as other threads have mentioned does not help.  I've had a customer support ticket open for a few days now but no luck.    

Just out of curiosity, are any of you on the Windows 10 Insider program??   I am currently on build 18348.19h1 -- but this issue began before this most recent update. 

Also, is this issue causing judder for anyone else?  I am fine once Home loads (after an unusually long load time) and then everything gets bad pretty quickly.  

FWIW, my other specs are i5-8400 and GTX 1070.    

uKER
Adventurer

shanedlm said:

Just out of curiosity, are any of you on the Windows 10 Insider program??  

Yeah, I figured that could be the culprit, and that's why I was asking for everyone's Windows build in the message right above yours.
I'm on build 18351 (latest Fast Ring build).
Guess a pattern will arise here.

What about you, @Harry_Hood ?

EDIT: Come to think about it, the timing seems to match the time when this showed up as a known issue with the builds:
  • Creative X-Fi sound cards are not functioning properly. We are partnering with Creative to resolve this issue.

Swifty0ne
Expert Protege
I have also lost sound on my Home but it works fine when I run games. I have not run the tutorial games to check if they have sound or not yet.  I am also on Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.18342.8 (19h1_release). I guess the Oculas Folks don't run or test on Preview Builds.

Come to think of it we are the "Canary in a Coal Mine" people so Dev's can fix issues before the rest of the pubic sees them.  This is an issue though so I hope there is a resolution forthcoming. 

shanedlm
Honored Guest

I have also lost sound on my Home but it works fine when I run games. I have not run the tutorial games to check if they have sound or not yet.  I am also on Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.18342.8 (19h1_release). I guess the Oculas Folks don't run or test on Preview Builds.

Aha, making some progress now!    When you have a moment, would you mind testing out tutorial or First Contact and see if the issue extends there? 

Swifty0ne
Expert Protege

shanedlm said:

Aha, making some progress now!    When you have a moment, would you mind testing out tutorial or First Contact and see if the issue extends there? 

Nope... No sound on First Contact for me either just checked. 

If your Touch Controllers go bad and you loose tracking and the quality light isn't green on your home it is probably the WIndows 10 update bug that there is another thread open on.  I could not remove the update as I am on an Insider Preview Build.  My Solution was to pull one of my Monitors due to the Bug having to do with 2 Monitors with Different refresh rates. With only 1 monitor connected my tracking and quality in Home returns to normal.  Minus the Sound of course.