cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound on Oculus Home, Touch Basics and First Contact?

uKER
Adventurer
Basically what the title says.
Since about two weeks ago (guesstimated) I have no sound on Oculus Home, Touch Basics and First Contact.

Strangely, while the Oculus Home environment is dead silent, I do have sound when I bring up the in-game Oculus menu (the one with the screen floating in front of you and the button bar at the bottom).
Also, all other apps work perfectly.
Oddly enough, First Contact is malfunctioning in both its built-in and downloadable versions.

I haven't read about anyone else having this.
Any ideas?
78 REPLIES 78

Harry_Hood
Honored Guest

uKER said:

Well, no. Switching from 48 to 44 KHz didn't help. Was worth a try though.
To everyone having the same issue, just curious, what build of Windows are you running?

Originally I was running an insider build of Windows 10. Reformatted hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows (no insider build this time) Audio returns again for all apps including Oculus Home, First Contact, etc. but for only around 5 minutes or so before losing all sound. No game audio, voice, or dashboard sounds. Restarting the Oculus app brings the audio back only to have it cut out again. If I remember correctly I think the problem originally started after an update of the Oculus app. 

shanedlm
Honored Guest

uKER said:

Well, no. Switching from 48 to 44 KHz didn't help. Was worth a try though.
To everyone having the same issue, just curious, what build of Windows are you running?

Originally I was running an insider build of Windows 10. Reformatted hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows (no insider build this time) Audio returns again for all apps including Oculus Home, First Contact, etc. but for only around 5 minutes or so before losing all sound. No game audio, voice, or dashboard sounds. Restarting the Oculus app brings the audio back only to have it cut out again. If I remember correctly I think the problem originally started after an update of the Oculus app. 

Thanks -- saved me the trouble!  Had considered doing all that, but the thought of it alone was painful and I had a feeling that in the end it wouldn't be worth it.     What CPU and GPU are you all using?    I've got a i5-8400 and GTX 1070.    

Penpen2
Explorer
I've been having this issue for about 3 weeks myself. Same issues as everyone above, tried everything as well. I just bought Moss and there is no sound with that game either, so add that one to the list of games affected by this, really disappointing as I really want to play that game and had been looking forward to it since it was shown at E3 way back.

I've uninstalled Oculus software, done the repair, disabled audio devices and left only Rift Headset on my pc as the only audio source, unplugged my external screen, changed Khz sound quality from DvD to CD, messed with Steam sound options when playing through that, played without Steam and only Oculus, nothing works.

Home has no sound, store has no sound but the previews of the games does, Oculus dash has sound. Just was really looking forward to Moss, and setting up my Oculus Home.

shanedlm
Honored Guest
There’s got to be a common thread with the audio in these apps/games.  Some SDK or something?    Are you a Windows Insider user too?

Penpen2
Explorer

shanedlm said:

There’s got to be a common thread with the audio in these apps/games.  Some SDK or something?    Are you a Windows Insider user too?

Yes I am on the latest fast build. That's the one thing I have not tried yet, getting off the insider build. but as Harry_Hood pointed out he got off and used base windows with the same issues happening, it's something I will try as well, I'll post my findings here when I do this.

uKER
Adventurer
Why still debating the issue?
This has long been established to be caused by being in the Insider fast ring.

Penpen2
Explorer

uKER said:

Has it? Can you link me to any site that says this is the cause? Because I've been looking all over the web and cant find a single thing saying the insider build is the cause, even in this thread there is no mention that it's the cause.

I really hope it is, Im sick of the issue and want it fixed, I'll post my findings later on tonight so people wanting a definite answer will have one.

uKER
Adventurer
Seriously?
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/664372/#Comment_664372

And no, there's barely any mention of the issue anywhere else. I only found some other guy on Reddit with the same issue, and sure enough, he was on Insider fast too.

shanedlm
Honored Guest

uKER said:

Because that’s not the cause — it’s just what we seem to have in common.  Oculus seems to have no interest in resolving this, simply passing the buck on to MS.   MS hasn’t acknowledged squat about it.

Creative fixed their audio issue and put out new drivers.  What’s Oculus doing?

As far as I’m concerned, the ‘cause’ is still unknown and neither party is attempting to resolve it.   

shanedlm
Honored Guest

uKER said:

Seriously?
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/664372/#Comment_664372

And no, there's barely any mention of the issue anywhere else. I only found some other guy on Reddit with the same issue, and sure enough, he was on Insider fast too.

Yep — he said he was in this thread too.  Hi!  🙂