cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Not Resolved) Known Issue - Quest PCVR streaming micro lags and stutter esp. when moving head

acreed11
Protege

Hi team,

I'm getting micro lags and stutter in Airlink on my Quest 3 (EU/UK), esp. when moving my head. In the Oculus debug overlay this causes brief spikes in transmit/decode, fps drops and visible stuttering. The issue is not present on my Quest Pro with otherwise identical settings - see below screenshots to illustrate.

Few more details:
- Issue is not present on Quest Pro with same settings on HMD, router and PC (using same res)
- Issue is worse at higher bitrates, esp. >200mbps, but still present <200mbps
- Issue is unrelated to PC/game latencies (CPU, GPU, Queue each <5ms)
- Stutters/lags are intermittent (every 10-20 seconds) when not moving but happen immediately and reproducibly when moving the head to either side or especially looking downwards (i.e. on any bigger headset movements)
- Wifi 6E router (TP Link AXE75 EU/UK)
- EDIT: exact same issue with Asus RT-AXE7800 (EU/UK) wifi 6e router
- Connection shows as 2,400mbps
- Airlink codec H264 (but same on other codecs)
- I've attempted factory resetting, installing latest drivers
- Updated to v62 and latest Quest Link desktop version (I can see the 120hz option for my Q3)
- EDIT: Ordered a separate Quest 3 for testing: presents the exact same issue

-EDIT: Same issue on 5ghz 802.11ax 160mhz BUT switching to 802.11ac (!) completely fixed the issue. I cant test this on 6ghz but looks like 802.11ax or something related to how q3 implements it is the culprit

As the issue is worse the higher the bitrate and not present on Q Pro with otherwise same settings, I suspect it's related to the below known Wifi issues - but opening a new thread as instructed. 
https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/Known-Isssue-Unstable-wifi-coverage-with-Quest-3-on-s...

Best,
JensQ3Q3QProQPro

Updates:
- Tried separate router: exact same issue with Asus RT-AXE7800 wifi 6e router
- Ordered a separate Quest 3: exact same issue on both routers

-Same issue on 5ghz 802.11ax 160mhz BUT switching to 802.11ac (!) completely fixed the issue. I cant test this on 6ghz but looks like 802.11ax or something related to how q3 implements it is the culprit

253 REPLIES 253

Babinok
Expert Protege

At the moment the problem is most noticeable when playing through Virtual Desktop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KIGVEbaUYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRvEFesyTlQ

When playing via airlink in AC 160 MHz mode there are almost no lags, but in AX mode there is this.

what are you using right now to be able to play. i have a 2080 ti and iv been so stressed out thinking it was my pc tell i saw this thread. i also have a quest 3 and for wifi im using PRISMXR Puppis S1 router i also do have link cable just trying to figure out what settings to use to play shooter games like onward ghost of tabor ect

RTX 3080.

I have a 3080 as well, but I upgraded from a 1070. The 1070 was fine for the majority of games, so long as I left the resolution and framerate near default settings. When it didn't keep up, it would result in a consistent framerate reduction along with asyncronous timewarp artifacts (looks like little wobbly distortions with fast movement.) This is very different from what we're talking about in this thread where you get a motion-freezing effect where several frames in a row get dropped.

Your 2080 should be fine. Another thing to watch regardless of which generation GPU you have is VRAM. Especially in SteamVR, don't force the resolution slider up so high your VRAM gets maxed out. The result if that happens is less than 1 frame per second 😁

i have 2 routers i have tried, Puppis S1 and a asus RT-AX92U both hard wired to pc and only quest 3 connected. steam link works 50% of the time i have everything set to default the res slider set to 100%. still get stutters and if i move my hands very fast for example having to reload a gun in game i notice it a lot

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

With Air Link I suggest you avoid using h.264 codec.  Just set all your ODT settings to defaults/zeros except distortion = low.  Use your meta link pc app dashboard far left icon and set your bitrate to 200mbps Dynamic (not fixed).  If you have an AMD gpu you may need to lower this to 100-150mbps because they have slower encoders.  This automatically will set the codec to h.265 (hevc) and this will give you very good clarity.  Using the Dynamic bitrate should also help smooth out your stutters, esp. with Steam VR apps.  BTW, with SteamVR set your global visuals manually (not auto) to 100%.  You may be able to adjust these a bit using the per app option.

Also, I've found the Q3 really prefers wifi6 AX over AC.  With AC I get lots of disconnects.  Also, I haven't found any advantage of using 160mhz over 80mhz.

If you still get stutters, try lowering your graphics settings a little.  Good luck mate and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

i will try this i have a 2080 ti with a i9 9900KS any other settings i should do in ODT? spacewarp?

@Epic1Hit wrote:

i will try this i have a 2080 ti with a i9 9900KS any other settings i should do in ODT? spacewarp?

You can set ASW to disabled if you like and your PC can handle it (you have a pretty strong PC so I don't think you'll need asw).  It just doesn't seem to stick between restarts.

You can also use keyboard commands to change ASW settings on the fly (no restart required);

ctrl+num1 (numeric keyboard 1, not top row 1) = ASW off

ctrl+num2 = Forced 45fps which is actually forced to  1/2 your refresh rate fps with asw = off

ctrl+num3 = forced 1/2 with asw = on

ctrl+num4 = asw = auto (default)

With flight sims like msfs2020 I use 1/2 forced with asw = off (forced 45fps).  I use 80Hz refresh rate so this ends up giving me a nice smooth 40fps.  I don't like using asw because it tends to give me too many ugly artifacts, like wavy build windows.

Hope this helps mate and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Pikehan
Honored Guest

I've been waiting for this issue to be resolved since March and couldn't play any pcvr games since then. I tried every setting on my router, freshly installed windows 10. It started to occur after the v62 update and still happening until v66. My only option without a stutter was using a link cable and that comes with a %20 performance loss for my pc that makes games unplayable without lowering my resolution to %80 or lower, at that point playing most of my games on Quest 3 with Quest game Optimizer has higher resolution and fps than my pc. Some demanding games run at 15 fps(instead of 72 fps) due to Meta link software filling half of my vram. Since there is no regional pricing for my country I can hardly afford to buy games from the Quest Store so there is no way I can afford to rebuy my Steam games there. So if this issue persists, I will start pirating my Steam games on Quest 3 since your device doesn't work the way it is supposed to.

TG.1984
Explorer

I am also having the each same issue, I actually thought it was network congestion so I just dropped a bunch of money on a new wifi 7 Router.

I noticed when using airlink that games started lagging/stuttering. I also noticed that some games would get this wobble head effect at times and I would have to ride it out for about 10-15 seconds before it returned to normal.

My gaming machine is a 3090 with a 5950x cpu. It shouldn't be a factor in this and has previously played this games just fine.

That said, I have tried 3 different routers with varying levels of technology... so far this occurs on all of them. The only way to sorted solve it is to use the usb tether, but that is less than ideal. This also occurs in Virtual Desktop, SteamVR, and Oculus app. I have also noticed that I am unable to see any wifi network that is using 6ghz frequency. I am also unable to manually select wpa3 as a security protocol for wifi. 

My guess is something is seriously wrong with the wifi drivers/setup on our headsets. Like I said previously, I have tried a wifi 6, 6e and 7 router all of them had the same issue, I have also performed 2 different factory resets, and none of these have worked. 

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?