cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVRServer Opening with Windows Startup....Wont Close...

layne81
Honored Guest
Hello all,

I have an annoyance I need to fix.... OVRServer.... it starts with windows...will not close.... 

How do I stop this?!?!?!?!

e18q205v399u.jpg
11 REPLIES 11

matskatsaba
Adventurer
You have to go to services, select ovr server, and change it to manual.
I have to add, you will have to start it every single time manually when you want to run oculus home, without OVRServer running, you can't use the rift.
Well, you can, but lets  not go into homebrew runtimes.

Anyway, here's the detailed how-to:
Start>run>services.msc
Alternatively, open task manager, click on services tab, then click on `Open Services` button in the bottom left corner.
In services, look for "Oculus VR Runtime Service", doubleclick it, on `General` tab, change `startup type` to manual. Click Apply, then click on the Stop button.

If you want to use oculus again, open task manager, go to services tab, rightclick on OVRService and select [start]. When you`re done with gaming, rightclick > stop.

You could technically make a batch file to do this for you but never really did that since I have taskmanager open all the time anyway.

elboffor
Consultant
It should run all the timstime, but hidden.
Id suggest downloading the software setup again and choosing repair because the launcher file is supposed to add the launch parameter that hides it.

tmerenda
Honored Guest
Hello,
I had exactly the same "issue". In fact it started when using the Oculus debug tool.
Simply open Oculus debug tool again -> service tab -> Toggle console window visibility.
Done ;-). Now at restart the server starts in the background as before.
Tax

matskatsaba
Adventurer
If the machine meets the rift minimum hardware specifications, the running ovrserver shouldn't impact performance anyway.

LZoltowski
Champion
Its there, listening and waiting in the shadows hehe .. It also means that if you put your HMD on your head without launching the app, it will launch it for you and get you in the rift.

ModsWanted
Honored Guest

tmerenda said:

Hello,
I had exactly the same "issue". In fact it started when using the Oculus debug tool.
Simply open Oculus debug tool again -> service tab -> Toggle console window visibility.
Done ;-). Now at restart the server starts in the background as before.
Tax

That is exactly how to solve this issue! Thanks for the info!

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the machine meets the rift minimum hardware specifications, the running ovrserver shouldn't impact performance anyway.

Well, it doesn't affect the performance of the computer but I run VR on a gaming laptop and the battery is already not very good, the mid to high power usage of the server makes my computer's battery worse.

Thanks this solved it

Thanks a lot... The one and only simple way to solve this little problem.

A big thank you to you!!!