cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVRServer_x64.exe high cpu usage - is this normal?

GingerMcAle
Protege
Greetings,

i think i might have an issue. Iam looking for help regarding the required CPU usage of OVRServer_x64.exe

Ive searched around a little bit and found different statements about its CPU utilization needs. This is mine when the headset is on the table and the proximity sensor is covered by piece of cloath so the headset stays active. Ive started also the oculus mirror application so you can see the active rendered output and also the task manager.

Oculus Home, settings menu (17% by OVRServer)

3thkc1ocvscd.png

Oculus Touch Tutorial, experience mode (15% by OVRServer)

sg1rkxv9hx57.png

Questions
- 1. Is this the usual CPU utilization by this server if some VR application is running?
- 2. Is the Kernel Error "Cannot serialize not-finite value" usual?

It looks like Mark is having an pretty similiar issue to me:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50103/high-cpu-utilization-from-oculusvr-exe-or-ovrse...

Ive read here on the forums someone saying he got 2-3% CPU usage by this server. For me its obviously higher. If i close the vr application and the headset goes back to stand-by after a few seconds this CPU utilisation goes down to 0-1% as expected. Its just it seems a little high for me when some VR application is actively running.

Hardware and related stuff
- Intel 2500k overclocked to 4gz (the issue also appears on default clock)
- Nvidia 970 GTX (with current drivers)
- Headset connected to motherboard USB3 rear slot (ive tried usb2 aswell)
- non-windows services and applications not running
- powerplan settings checked and reset to default just in case
- no other injectors like msi afterburner or something like that running
- latest windows 10 with updates
- i have the issue since the beginning, it just came to me this could be irregular behaviour

Thanks
Mariusz
13 REPLIES 13

galopin
Heroic Explorer
I observed for months now the same issue on a computer that does not have the rift nor the cameras attached most of the time ( i usually just stop the service ).

This morning i attached to the process, first, it spams in the log and use 2GB of memory for nothing :smile:
:kissing_smiling_eyes:

11/08 09:14:16.815 {!ERROR!} [Registry] Failed to read selected Oculus software release channel.
11/08 09:14:16.815 {INFO}    [Registry] Failed to read registry key value length for key CoreChannel, it probably hasn't been set.

I also attached a break down cpu profiling image so you can match the function name to address ( exe+dll version : 1.17.0.424315)
g5ox21k0szsk.png

Bo_Runceanu
Honored Guest
Same issue here
While I was setting up two almost identical systems there was no network connection in the office and in about three days, OVRServer_64.exe started consuming 50%+ on both 3GHz quadcores. When the network connection was established, it went from 50%+ to a few percents and stayed that way for about two weeks. Today, one of the systems is working just fine, meaning less than 20% peaks for OVRServer_x64, while the other stays at a constant 50%+ CPU usage even when the headset is idle. 
Any clues as to what the cause is and how to fix this? 
Thank you

BrightGreenLeaf
Honored Guest
Same issue here. https://imgur.com/a/5VIp39N you can see it matching vacation simulator for cpu usage. Clarification on if this is fixable would be great, thanks.

RaoneS
Explorer
I'm having the same problem.
When the OVRServer_x64.exe file uses a CPU of between 15~30%, nothing is visible from the headset.
Wait a few minutes for CPU usage to decrease, I can see the screen on the headset.
If I take off my headset and wear it again in a short time, I can easily experience the symptoms.
I have i7-4790k 4.7Ghz, Z97 Mainboard, 16Gb RAM, GTX 1080 ti, 3 Oculus Sensors.
I have been using the Oculus Rift CV1 since Feb 2017.
This is a symptom that never existed before the Oculus Dash was created.
When it was Oculus Home 1.0, it was always fast to use.
I wish I had the option to go back to Oculus Home 1.0.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?