cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus CV1 laptop (Asus g751jy nvidia 980m) problems/experimentation

placingpixels
Explorer

Hi, kickstarter backer from Norway here! Got my CV1 and loving it so far! Running pretty good on my slightly underpowered build with a Nvidia GTX 780. However, I also have a asus g751jy laptop. i7 and 980m. In theory, about as powerful as my other setup. And would love to run my rift on that as well. And I have seen some people reporting success with DK2 and this laptop:https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zwwlg/rift_compatible_gaming_laptop_list/

And I have gotten pretty far in the Oculus setup, it detects the headset and sensor. However when I get to the point where I am to "continue inside" I only see a black screen. I do get audio, but no image. The little yellow light also lights up. And when it detect is has be put on, my screen seems to dim a little. I had some issues while running the setup, my PC asked me to restart after some driver installs. But clicking restart did nothing. Not sure if that was related. In addition I don't seem to be able to go through the process again. Even after reinstalling the Oculus runtime found at oculus.com/setup. After reinstalling I always end up at the same point in the process. Does anyone know how to totally redo this?

But, I am aware that the errors in the install process might not be the issue. As Oculus does not promise any support for laptops. Could it be because my HDMI output simply cannot output 90 hz or something? Could it be because it is running through the motherboard instead of directly to graphics card? As far as I know, this specific laptop is NOT running Optimus (said to be responsible for most issues with laptops).

So, is there any hope for me to be running this on my laptop? 🙂

47 REPLIES 47

user
Explorer
Solved. Bought a miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter, connect it to the only miniDP port and connect Rift HDMI to it and it works, and I witnessed the glory of VR, which truly much better than DK1 in every way. Now I need more content and a glass that fit well into Rift and not fogging.

Note that you need to connect sensor and Rift USB at right hand side USB port (for my G751JY model). For my case if you connect at left hand side USB for sensor it will crash into oblivion (hang forever) and need hard reset through on/off power. ASUS is quite famous for screw up their USB hub inside their high end notebook, some USB port works some are not.

placingpixels
Explorer
Awesome! 

Zamahra
Honored Guest

@user I have a similar problem (Laptop without Optimus, with 980 (not M)) and my Oculus CV1 is flickering very hard. By now, I'm powering the rift at a HDMI 2.0 port and also think about switching to miniDisplayPort. Do you know which DisplayPort Version you have? I found out that my version is 2.0 and I'm a little bit worried that this could not be enough.

user
Explorer

Zamahra said:

@user I have a similar problem (Laptop without Optimus, with 980 (not M)) and my Oculus CV1 is flickering very hard. By now, I'm powering the rift at a HDMI 2.0 port and also think about switching to miniDisplayPort. Do you know which DisplayPort Version you have? I found out that my version is 2.0 and I'm a little bit worried that this could not be enough.

For me I got the Macally Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with them in any way.), it works ok for me, it stated MiniDP 1.2a HDMI 1.4b. HDMI 2.0 is even higher than that but cannot work?

ebinary
Honored Guest
Dang user!

I didn't have any luck with MiniDisplayPort adapters on my G751JY  unit.  I was awaiting a dual USB power cable, but it got on the slow boat from China, so I returned my new machine while I was still in the return window.

user
Explorer

ebinary said:

Dang user!

I didn't have any luck with MiniDisplayPort adapters on my G751JY  unit.  I was awaiting a dual USB power cable, but it got on the slow boat from China, so I returned my new machine while I was still in the return window.

Yeah it took me some research to know from other user of G752 which they mention they use miniDP to HDMI adapter to works, or else you may think you received a damaged screen set and ask for return/refund.

My conclusion, the CV1 really need 2 very stable USB3 ports, plus a direct routing of GPU to HDMI port to works, plus you can make it through the driver/hot fix update check which is a completely PITA.

ASUS have weakness on USB port on for its laptop, it USB ports on left side sometime can't even work with portable harddisk without intermittent connect/disconnect. For HDMI port I couldn't understand why ASUS did not hardwire it to GPU (as it doesn't have the Optimus thing), thank God it has miniDP port which seems to do so.

kolinsyc
Honored Guest

user said:

Solved. Bought a miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter, connect it to the only miniDP port and connect Rift HDMI to it and it works, and I witnessed the glory of VR, which truly much better than DK1 in every way. Now I need more content and a glass that fit well into Rift and not fogging.

Note that you need to connect sensor and Rift USB at right hand side USB port (for my G751JY model). For my case if you connect at left hand side USB for sensor it will crash into oblivion (hang forever) and need hard reset through on/off power. ASUS is quite famous for screw up their USB hub inside their high end notebook, some USB port works some are not.

I have the exact same model as you, and a HDMI>MiniDP adapter didn't help much. I still hear sound and everything, but I'm failing to receive any input within the headset, and the power LED on the headset is always orange. 

Can you share more specifics? All of the USB connectors from the rift and the sensor are on the right side of the laptop, and I have the HDMI connection through a miniDP adapter. My display adapters are all the latest (for 980M) and so are the oculus drivers. The calibration test states everything's working properly, I just can't get a visual!

Thanks!

user
Explorer

kolinsyc said:

I have the exact same model as you, and a HDMI>MiniDP adapter didn't help much. I still hear sound and everything, but I'm failing to receive any input within the headset, and the power LED on the headset is always orange. 

Can you share more specifics? All of the USB connectors from the rift and the sensor are on the right side of the laptop, and I have the HDMI connection through a miniDP adapter. My display adapters are all the latest (for 980M) and so are the oculus drivers. The calibration test states everything's working properly, I just can't get a visual!

Thanks!

As mentioned in other thread, Cybereality has tried some adapters, active type may not work:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/29713/just-to-confirm-displayport-and-dvi-adapters-do...
So you may need to try other adapter, someone did solved after change to other adapter. For the left side of USB try not to connect anything first, I tried to connect xbox one controller and it crashed and hang forever, most likely due to horrible designed USB port. Also see if the HDMI connector at rift side is fully inserted.
If it is ok the light will become white.

buz11
Honored Guest
We tried a few powered USB 3 hubs and another mini-dp-to-hdmi adapter, but what finally worked on our ASUS ROG G751JT was the aforementioned Macally 4K mini-dp-to-hdmi adapter.

zboson
Superstar
I had a similar problem with the ASUS ROG G751JT. Most of the time it was just black but sometimes it would display correctly for up to 30 s and then go black again.  I fixed the problem using a mini Displayport to HDMI convertor.

I tried two mini Displayport to HDMI adapters I had in a box where I store random electronics. Neither of them worked.

I assume when you say that you're a Norwegian backer that you mean that you reside in Norway as well. So do I. I bought a new mini display port to HDMI at an Expert store a few days ago.  Here is exactly what I bought
https://www.expert.no/data/kabler-og-tilkobling/skjermkabler/eletra-dp-adapter-mdp-m-hdmi-f-4k/p-253...

Incidentally, my MSI GT72 2QE (980M also) does not have this problem i.e. the HDMI port works fine.