cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus CV1 laptop (Asus g751jy nvidia 980m) problems/experimentation

placingpixels
Explorer

Hi, kickstarter backer from Norway here! Got my CV1 and loving it so far! Running pretty good on my slightly underpowered build with a Nvidia GTX 780. However, I also have a asus g751jy laptop. i7 and 980m. In theory, about as powerful as my other setup. And would love to run my rift on that as well. And I have seen some people reporting success with DK2 and this laptop:https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zwwlg/rift_compatible_gaming_laptop_list/

And I have gotten pretty far in the Oculus setup, it detects the headset and sensor. However when I get to the point where I am to "continue inside" I only see a black screen. I do get audio, but no image. The little yellow light also lights up. And when it detect is has be put on, my screen seems to dim a little. I had some issues while running the setup, my PC asked me to restart after some driver installs. But clicking restart did nothing. Not sure if that was related. In addition I don't seem to be able to go through the process again. Even after reinstalling the Oculus runtime found at oculus.com/setup. After reinstalling I always end up at the same point in the process. Does anyone know how to totally redo this?

But, I am aware that the errors in the install process might not be the issue. As Oculus does not promise any support for laptops. Could it be because my HDMI output simply cannot output 90 hz or something? Could it be because it is running through the motherboard instead of directly to graphics card? As far as I know, this specific laptop is NOT running Optimus (said to be responsible for most issues with laptops).

So, is there any hope for me to be running this on my laptop? 🙂

47 REPLIES 47

ClassicGamerNL
Expert Protege

I'm interested as well  

We are all just human... share your respect and show your love.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm fairly certain its defaulting to your onboard video instead of using the 980m chipset. I know many Alienware setups allow you to disable the Intel graphics and use the discreet card, but not sure on the Asus line up.

If you go into the device manager and click on Display Adapters does it list Intel and Nvidia or just Nvidia?

placingpixels
Explorer
Thanks for the reply! Only Nvidia is listed as a display adapter. 

placingpixels
Explorer
Could it be the USB not delivering sufficient power? As everything seems to be detected, and I also tried using a mini display to hdmi adapter. Still connected, but a black screen. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
The G751JY does not have any integrated GPU only a discrete one. It also only have USB3 ports and by USB3 specifications it should deliver enough power. All this of course depending on what G751JY laptop you have as Asus have been using that specification on many laptops during the past years.

placingpixels
Explorer
Thanks. The name of my specific model is ROG G751JY-T7103H. 

placingpixels
Explorer
If anyone else is able to run on a laptop please let me know 🙂

ebinary
Honored Guest
I can tell you I am having the exact same problem.  I've tried everything, and I have it working on an older ASUS, so I know the unit works.  

Ruudscorner was able to use this machine with DK2, but he's never tried it on CV1.  He was successful directly from the HDMI port (no display-port or thunderbolt adapter required).

I had already tried most of his suggestions (Win10, current drivers, rebooting).   I am going to try a USB power doubler dongle next week - if it fails, I am going to ship the laptop back (brand new) and sell my oculus on ebay.  It is the only cost-effective laptop that comes close to spec, and I don't want another desktop.

Please let me know if you get it working.  I started a similar thread but no response.

placingpixels
Explorer
I'll let you know if I figure anything out. Kind of running out of ideas though :smile: