cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Field of View

flaw
Explorer
So. I've been playing some games on the rift and I'm problem that's coming up a lot is the field of view.

The peripheral vision in the game is not great. If you ask me. And I know that's one of the selling points of the rift. The peripheral vision and the immersive experience.

I'm often finding that there are ledges that I can't really see when I leap off them and I find I can't see as much to the sides of me as what I'd like.

I work with it and I love the rift and I love the experience so far. Just hate falling off of ledges that I can't see.

Is this my settings or is the physical limitations of the headset in general?
get your game on ....
7 REPLIES 7

Frito
Explorer
the DK has its limitations, but hardware separation, lenses, and ingame FOV are major details that should be fine tuned for the best experience, it took me a while to find what works best for me
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

cybereality
Grand Champion
The Rift is great, but it's not "The Matrix." Most people can usually see the edges of the screens on the left and right sides. However it is a huge step up from previous consumer-priced head-mounts, which is why so many people talk about the immersion.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

flaw
Explorer
i'm not expecting the matrix or a complete suspension of the world i know at all.

i'm just trying to jump levels in Portal and i can't see the ledge that i'm leaping from. so, i'm missing a lot of jumps because of this.

i'd like better peripheral view, true but that's less important to me than being able to see the ground at my feet when i'm making a jump.
get your game on ....

cybereality
Grand Champion
It may be that the FOV in Portal is set too low. I think you can change the FOV in the console like this:

cl_fov 110

I would also try to play games with official native Oculus support like Half-Life 2.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

flaw
Explorer
thanks for the tip, i'll give it a go.

a lot of other games are quite fine, i also had issues with the range of visible space in mirrors edge.
get your game on ....

Hyde99X
Honored Guest
I'll have to see this for myself when I get mine in soon. I hope it's not too bad.

chemeleon
Honored Guest
Inclined to agree. After testing the Rift DK1 for a few months in real world settings (i.e. Half Life 2 VR, DOOM 3, and plenty of other fully realized games augmented with Rift compatible drivers), the immediate limitations kind of fade, but the stand out immersion breaker is the limited field of view / peripheral vision.

I think it's something you tune out in your first run with the device, but it becomes way more noticeable as you start to field test it - it feels as if around half of the peripheral vision in each eye is obscured, and it's distracting enough that it makes me want to start playing on a conventional monitor again, even if I'd rather not be.

I guess the lower FOV meets the constraints of most modern games/engines designed for monitors and HDTVs. Though, given the high level of industry support, I'd really rather see the most immersive HMD possible and engines pushed out of their comfort zones.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?