cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go storage space is not freed up until restart / reboot.

FunKing
Expert Protege

Hi!

If I delete a file on the Oculus Go, the storage space doesn't change until I restart the device.

For example, I had 9.0 GB of free space on Oculus Go:

pydbtddjco5x.jpg

Then I copied a 1.5 GB video to the device (via USB transfer), and ended up with 7.2 GB of free space:

3x8ercvi3ar0.jpg

I deleted the file right away (using Oculus Gallery, without even playing the file), and the device tells me I still have 7.2 GB of free space:

4qiquq5z362c.jpg

I can confirm this via Windows:

kbnxf837cgwx.png

The deleted file is still appears in Windows Explorer when connected to the Oculus Go, but I can't operate on it. E.g., if I try to copy it back from the Oculus Go to the PC, I get a "Unspecified error":

a92fnhe0bmfr.png

After restarting Oculus Go, the deleted file doesn't appear in Windows Explorer anymore and the storage space is finally freed, as seen on the device (as 8.9 GB free) and in Windows Explorer:

5wmf7pp3h7ix.jpg

osobiw9gq3hz.png

The same issue happens with image files (even screenshots taken via Universal Menu). OTOH, this problem doesn't happen when installing / removing apps.

Is this a know problem that is currently being worked on?

4 REPLIES 4

FunKing
Expert Protege
And I just got a reply from support:

We are aware that the storage space is not updated until the device is rebooted. This is normal behavior for the device. If you uninstall any files, you will need to reboot to get accurate storage information.

"Normal behavior"? So it's not a bug, it's a feature?

cybereality
Grand Champion
It's a known bug. We are aware of it, and will investigate how to improve the functionality in the future. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

shiningc
Honored Guest
Is this crap ever going to get fixed? It virtually makes it unusable. Can I return it because of this thing?

@shiningc @FunKing @cybereality 

It's been some time and I'm here because I've had the same issue. Don't know if this problem is sorted out in any ways -other than discontinuing the device. 🤣 I found a workaround though, if it is not any harder than restarting for you:

I've deleted the files from Windows Explorer. Device doesn't recognize the operation. I went to Settings-All Settings- Storage in the Device to see if it is reported correctly: It is not.

Disconnected the USB Cable and reconnected (Allow File Access) - Still space is not freed.

• Then I've deleted a single photo in the device (Any file, it seems) Data change is reported. Storage is refreshed in the device (Not in Windows until reconnect)
  • Reconnect and Allow File Access.

And Voila! 

It seems device needs you to do some file operation from within the device menus to be aware of the file operation. (Like Deleting a file in the Gallery App) PLUS A reconnecting the USB cable (+Allow File Access) for Windows to be aware 😂 I've notified you anyway -"If it is not harder for you" 

I'll check for other methods.  There is a disfunction in the update tasks and some other operation might force this update task with lesser steps in the device.

Regards

Nezih.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?