cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus HDMI problem... [SOLVED]

OneScoop
Explorer
EDIT: So the fix was ordering a displayport to hdmi adapter. The rift now works flawlessly. I cant seem to find the one i bought but it should be 4k 60hz but if youre unsure you can check the reviews to see if anyone mentions it working on the rift. Its still kind of a mystery as to why the dvi cable stopped the rift from even being recognized, though.

Anyway, heres the original post.

Long story short, about two months ago I got my Oculus sent away because the HDMI just stopped working while i was in echo arena, and there has been an orange light the whole time i was trying to fix it. so I got a new Oculus back, and it still didn't work. so the only problem could have been the graphics card. so I got that sent away and it came back working on EVERYTHING but the rift. and this is where it gets confusing. I was at my local computer store with my computer and my rift. since they only had an HDMI cable plugged in to the monitor, and I only have one HDMI on my graphics card, I booted up my computer with that plugged in, signed in, opened the Oculus software, then unplugged the HDMI to the monitor, and plugged in the rift. the light was white so I expected It to work. I brought it home and set it up, (the only difference from that was that I was using DVI Instead of HDMI) and it STILL didn't work. so I tried unplugging the DVI cable before plugging in the rift, nothing. so then I replicated exactly what I did at the computer store with HDMI and it was white again. so without turning the PC off, while the rift was plugged in I plugged in DVI so I could see both screens and finish setup. but the program said no HDMI and the white light was still on. there's also been a black screen throughout all of this.

I've talked to support with no answers yet but at this point i'm close to just selling my computer on eBay and buying a new one

I've been without my rift for just over 3 months now and I am really missing using it, so any help would be very appreciated

Thanks.

EDIT: pc specs:
Desktop
Gigabyte Gtx 1060 6gb
Intel core i7 4770
12gb ram
256gb ssd and 1tb hard drive.
12 REPLIES 12

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Have you tried plugging the monitor into the DVI port and the Rift in the HDMI port, You could also try to use a PCI-E usb controller card from Inatech. (search the forums for which one)

OneScoop
Explorer
how would the usb controller card make the hdmi work?

Syrellaris
Rising Star
sometimes HDMI issues on the rift are the cause of incompatible USB ports. This could be anywhere from drivers to the chipset. It's a small shot, but for some it worked. The pci-e board is relatively inexpensive, though if you haven't done so, try different USB ports on your pc first.

It could also be a complete software related issue, have you tried a clean windows installation? 

OneScoop
Explorer
before i sent my graphics card away, I did do a clean windows re-installation, but that was before I knew the hdmi port was not even working. I also used different USB ports to no effect but it worked in the past on the exact same ones.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
what are your pc specifications to begin with? is it a laptop? desktop?

OneScoop
Explorer
Sorry, forgot to mention that.
Desktop
Gigabyte Gtx 1060 6gb
Intel core i7 4770
12gb ram
256gb ssd and 1tb hard drive.

OneScoop
Explorer
It was a prebuilt from lenovo, but i put in a new graphics card and ssd

JoeMoore
Honored Guest
Wow , I’m having a problem with the HDMI also , I got a replacement CV1 last week because the headset was not working so they replaced it , but  the replacement New CV1 will not connect properly , it try’s to connect and it seams to glitch on and off , there is also a strange buzzing from the head set , I’m pretty sure the HDMI is faulty in the CV1, I’ve a ticket waiting to be answered I sent today , if you do solve this issue please post , ps my HDMI on 980ti is working fine .

INTEL Core i7 4790K OC 4.5Ghz, ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER --Windows 10--
,SSD 240 x2 & 500 GB ,16Gb-Ram,---Strix 980ti-- also extra 3.0 usb hubs powered .
INTEL Core i7 4790K OC 4.5Ghz, ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER --Windows 10--
,SSD 240 x2 & 500 GB ,16Gb-Ram,---Strix 980ti--

OneScoop
Explorer
Problem is solved!

I looked on many other hdmi issue threads amd there was a common theme that the solution was to get a displayport to hdmi adapter. The rift finally works better that ever and the free hdmi port on the graphics card is perfect for my main monitor.

I cant find the exact one I ordered, but it shouldn't be hard to find a rift compatible one yourself. It really only needs to be 4k 60hz.