cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link doesn't work often

FunniFlow
Explorer

Yes my PC meets the requirements, yes I have a link cable, and yes restarting my PC fixes it sometimes. Each time I click the connect button from my Quest 2, I either:
A: Get a black screen. (Most likely)
B: Get a black screen (With a grey triangle thing that only renders on the right eye for some reason)
Or C: Actually connect (Least likely)
It takes over 10 minutes to get into VR because of this, it's so annoying, has anyone else experienced this? is there a way to fix it?

14 REPLIES 14

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, @FunniFlow, and thank you for informing us of your problem. We hope to put together some useful advice and troubleshooting methods to help you getting PCVR up and operating efficiently. However, we may require some help from your end. Could you please tell us about your computer's specifications? Because PCs may operate well enough for games in general but not especially for the Quest headset's capability. Also, has PCVR ever worked in the past? or is this the first time you are trying it? Have you tried any troubleshooting if it did work in the past? if so what did you try ?

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @FunniFlow we are looking forward to speaking with you. Please let us know if you are still having issues. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

PC Specs:
GTX 970 4GB
Ryzen 3 3200G
1TB SSD
16GB 3200MHz RAM
I've played PCVR many times, and my quality settings are set to the lowest option, which is very high for my GPU. Thanks, Oculus. You've decided that graphics are more important than performance. Great.

Anyway, back to the topic: I've tried restarting my PC, restarting the Oculus app, killing all OVR processes in Task manager, but the problem still persists. Sometimes, the app actually recognises that it's not working and gives me a notification to check the support article, and when I click on it, I get sent to https://secure.oculus.com/my/people/??? That's not a support article, Oculus app... 🤦‍

Thank you for letting us know about your PC's specs @FunniFlow. We appreciate the patience and also your cooperation on trying to find a solution. Have you attempted to repair your computer's Oculus PC app? As this could help fixing some of the problems you're having with your headset. You can learn how to do this by clicking on this link. in addition to repairing the application you can try using Windows to manually assign the GPU. This should have little to no side effects. To do so:

• Close the Oculus Desktop software
  • Open Windows Settings > System > Display > Graphics Settings
  • Select Classic App from the drop down and click Browse
  • Select the OculusClient.exe
    • (By default, this will be installed C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\OculusClient.exe)
  • Click Options > High Performance > Save
    • Ensure the "High Performance" option has your dedicated graphics at the top of this menu.

Set Oculus Process Priority

You can manually set the process priority to see if this will automatically assign the process to high performance. This should have few side effects.

• Open Task Manager
  • Go to the Details tab
  • Find OVRServer_x64.exe
  • Right click on it and select Set Priority
  • Set this priority to High
  • Repeat steps 4 - 6 for VirtualDesktop.streamer.exe

Let us know if this helps with any of the problems you are having. 

Hey @FunniFlow, please let us know if you still need help or if what we suggested helped at all. 

I haven't followed all steps yet, but the process priority section will definitely help; the Oculus app likes to select the game when I put on my headset, resulting in my PC putting the Oculus app to sleep, which crashes Oculus link, hopefully with priority set correctly, this won't happen anymore.

Hey there, @FunniFlow. Thanks for the reply and letting us know that you have not been able to do the above steps quite yet. Hopefully, with having the priority set correctly, that will indeed take care of your issue; however, if you still have any troubles, please let us know. We are happy to help

I tried repairing, it started to install, got to 5%, and an hour later, it was still at 5%. I closed it, and attempted to reinstall but this is all I get. Screenshot 2023-06-13 072722.png I've tried manually deleting the Oculus directory, disabling the firewall, and redownloading the app but this is all that happens. It does get to 75% or 90%, at least.

Hi there, @FunniFlow. Thanks for reaching back out and manually deleted the directory, however, we have a few troubleshooting steps that we would like you to follow. 

Disconnect the Rift/Link cable from the computer
Disconnect your computer from the internet
Backup any necessary content. You can find steps on how to do so by clicking here.
Reboot into Safe Mode. You can find steps on how to do so by clicking here.
Uninstall the Oculus PC app using the Control Panel. You can find steps on how to do so by clicking here.
Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:C:\Program Files
Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
Restart your computer in normal mode
Reconnect your computer to the internet
Install the Oculus PC app again using the setup tool from our website here
Reconnect the Rift/Link cable and re-test the headset

if you have completed the above steps and are still  having trouble please let us know. 

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?