cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link freezing frequently.

KatGod101
Explorer

This is my first post here, sorry if I’m posting wrong or in the wrong place.

Long story short, my friend got a quest 2 last year and handed me down his quest 1. It has worked fine since February of 2021, until January of 2022.

So for the last 2 months, oculus link on my computer would randomly freeze. The game itself or content would still play, and act the same, but the headset and controllers freeze, and if you turn around completely, it shows the same, frozen image that you see when the oculus froze but flipped upside down. I thought this was my PC, since it is a gaming laptop. But it has worked flawlessly for months without issue. Then update V39 released a while ago and brought nothing but issues. Now suddenly in games like beat saber, the blocks would come in a and stutter, and this wasn’t just beat saber, it was oculus link in general, as moving my hands across the screen would drop frames at the same intervals. I decided to go into the debug tool, and look at performance. And it would jump from 72FPS to 54, back to 72. I was frustrated since it was working for a while, why has it stopped working? So I re-installed the software, re-installed drivers, everything I could do that would affect link, and nothing. I even tried on my friends gaming computer with a Ryzen 9 and 3070, and the freezing was still present. So I really had to sit down and dig through the debug menu, and I discovered it was link sharpening that was doing this harm. I disabled it, and it works fine again. No stutters, no freezing, nothing wrong. But then 2 weeks later, my games start freezing. And since I haven’t found a fix other than to leave link, and come back in. I have to believe this purely has to do with the oculus quest 1, since I played beat saber and other games for an hour or two and it never froze once, even with the same cable, same ports, everything.

I don’t know what else to do since the quest 1 has nothing on it. No games, no applications, in fact, I’ve never touched the oculus store or settings on the device. I purely just turn it on, go to link, and play my PCVR games. I have 1,200+ hours on this thing on my pc, and I’m just upset that it’s not working the way it used to. This headset is still great to me, because of the smaller controllers, better strap, and OLED screen. I know that getting a quest 2 would fix all of this, but I would like to see if I can squeeze more time from this thing before I do decide to save for a better headset. 

For reference of specs, here you go.

Lenovo Legion 5 Laptop

Windows 10 21H2

Ryzen 5 4600H

GTX 1650 TI

16GB DDR4 3200 MHz

256GB NVME SSD (oculus and game install location)

1TB HDD 7200RPM

(I don’t think it’s the specs or laptop problem since it crashes all the time on desktop too.)

If I could get help or feedback, that would be great. 

19 REPLIES 19

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Pretty hard to say what’s causing your problem(s).  I gave away my old Q1 last year to a flight sim buddy and he’s not currently having any problems using it with the official link cable.  He does have a much better desktop pc with a rtx2080s though.  Maybe check that drivers are up to date and ODT settings are all defaults/zeros to begin with.

i suggest you contact oculus support and ask them for help.  Hopefully they can review your log files and identify what the problem is.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Thank you for the response, I will attempt to contact oculus support to see what they can do. Again, thank you!

McThiCkErSoN
Honored Guest

I have the exact same issue with my quest 1, I suggest using airlink as that seems to fix the problem for me. despite the terrible graphics it runs link without freezing.

Hey there! Quest 1 does not officially support Air Link at the time, so that may be why you're experiencing issues. If you'd like to, we'd love to invite you to our support page so that we can look further into this for you! Just click here.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

mr.savage.s3d
Honored Guest

same happend to me exactly the same but with oculus quest 2 i dont think buying 2 will help and im also doing the same searching and playing around with avrything to fix the issue but i can not seam to find it i also had the vr for 1year but i bought the pc link cable 3months ago when i was playig suddenly started freezing around the screen avrytime i close the app and open it again after 5minute freeze again wont stop and im soo frustrated i cant just buy another vr just to see if the problem is in my vr :hope you can help me thanks:

i forgot i also have a beast pc so its not from my pc

Hello @mr.savage.s3d! We're not happy to hear you're having these issues. We know your time is important and this only spoils your gameplay. We're happy to help with this.

We'll need to collect some information. Can you please PM us for privacy?

Please select our name to get to our profile page, or simply click here. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hi again! We're following up to see if you still need assistance. Please contact us. We'll be happy to help.

Did you ever find a fix?

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?