cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest Black Screen

owenlopez
Explorer
So as described my headset, has a black screen of death as people put it online. When hard resting my headset , I will get the oculus symbol and audio for boot up, after the logo there is no loading triple dots it just goes to a black screen. If I tap the power button when on the black screen it will make the audio of going back into standby mode and tapping again makes the audio noise for waking back up. So my next step was Factory reset with Power Button and Volume down button, the menu worked is say's erasing boots up again then same thing back to the black screen. I've tried doing a sideload of an update this still does not bring back video. 

I don't know how this possibly happens. I played it maybe a week ago showed a friend sports vr demo then put it back on the box it came in plugged into the charger, then went out to the field for a week ( army stuff ) come back from the field put on the headset it woke up but it was just lighted back black backround, so i restarted it and now this problem has started. I've had the headset for less then two months. I've contacted Oculus support auto-mated response came back in  saying they will get back to me within 2 business days. Sadly I'm thinking this will be a return back to an Oculus repair center, it really feels like it should not be I very much feel this is a software problem. I hope someone can help me figure out a fix.
40 REPLIES 40

Pessic
Explorer
Same to me, after turn off / turn on, black screen, seem the device is running but without image

Pessic
Explorer
Problem solved, I dont know how, pressing volume - and power while a seconds, and power many times, at the end start

owenlopez
Explorer

Pessic said:

Problem solved, I dont know how, pressing volume - and power while a seconds, and power many times, at the end start

can you elaborate on that more, so I've done the whole volume - and power and even factory reset and this did not fix the problem, I've currently had a support ticket open for 2 weeks with no updates, so fixing this on my own seems to be the only way. 

So details please on how you fixed yours

HECTOR1822
Honored Guest
I have exactly the same problem. try updating manually it didn't work. and tried all the methods, and left the device unused for 3 weeks and when I turned it on it has a black screen. I think it's a software problem.

mtnbear23
Honored Guest
i tried with the volume down and power button, but I never get to the boot menus screen like the support page described.... what am I doing wrong?? All i see was Oculus logo and then I see a memory card logo with a green bar loading on the bottom and then it turns black....

mrchristianq
Honored Guest
I have this same problem, i got a message on my phone that software was successfully updated.  Next time i tried it, black screen after boot logo.  Factory reset, powered off many times, issue remains.  Once in a while it will load to background but controller and head tracking not working, reboot again and black screen.  Any fix?

JERisBRISK
Protege
I ran into this with my first Quest (I sent that one back because it had some stuck pixels in the middle of the right eye). What fixed it for me was holding down the power button for a very long time (like 10+ seconds) until the screen fully turned off, then fully charging the Quest.

Once I started it back up, it took a bit longer than usual to become interactive, but I was patient with it and it eventually things were "normal" again.

I almost wonder if there's some Operating System "cleanup" that's going on from time to time during boot which can cause things to drag out... purely speculation on my part, though.

nishruu2
Protege
factory re set

ByronBiggles
Honored Guest
Oculus Support had me reinstall the drivers on my computer but when that didn’t work they told me to wait 3-5 business days for their response. I hadn’t used my Quest for two weeks when I found the black screen bug. I’ve done three factory resets and numerous restarts over the last few days. Has anyone stumbled across a solution yet? I just got my Quest at the end of June so it’s frustrating to not get more feedback from Oculus in order to fix this.