cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest Breaking Internet?

easiertax
Honored Guest

Apologies if this is a known issue but thought the community might have an answer. I just got a quest recently and I’ve noticed if my PC is also connected to the same WiFi signal that it will suddenly cut the entire apartment off from internet. If I put my laptop into sleep mode then it goes back to normal.

This is a very strange issue! A few other notes if helpful:

• both are on a 5G SSID

• I’ve got a few other connected devices around like a Sonos system.

• laptop is a pretty new Razer Blade 15

Any advice would be amazing as it is a huge bummer that I can’t use my PC with my quest for things like virtual desktop without breaking my apartment internet. My initial theory is the guardian system is messing up the signal because I have an Oculus Go and have no issues like this with that headset.

Thank you for any guidance in advance this is so frustrating!

Connecting to Ethernet is likely not an option. I also have a 200mbps connection

20 REPLIES 20

easiertax
Honored Guest
This also knocks my wifi offline completely across all other devices until i shut either the quest or the PC down

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Im not sure what’s going on with your wifi, but I wanted to mention that if you want to stream PCVR games with Virtual Desktop, that won’t work well with the laptop on wifi. You ideally want the PC connected by Ethernet to get acceptable performance. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

easiertax
Honored Guest
Thanks and appreciate the response! Yeah i've got a link compatible cable coming too so i'll use that but still unfortunately doesn't solve the strange internet issue

kojack
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

You ideally want the PC connected by Ethernet to get acceptable performance. 

Or I guess have the PC running a hotspot that the Quest connects to, so it's direct instead of via the modem. I don't have virtual desktop to try that though.

easiertax said:

My initial theory is the guardian system is messing up the signal because I have an Oculus Go and have no issues like this with that headset.

Guardian is just using the camera based tracking to tell if you move near the outline you drew. It has no transmitting or receiving.

One thing that can take down a wifi modem/router is too much traffic. At work I was teaching my students network game programming, connecting from Australia to a server I rent in Singapore. One student tried flooding it with small packets with no delay. Our college gateway couldn't handle the load, killing the internet for the whole building for a couple of minutes.
So I could imagine something like using virtual desktop from the laptop to the quest could overflow the wifi for the other devices, but just having them both connected shouldn't do anything.

Since you are on 5GHz, it wouldn't be a USB issue. USB 3 devices can generate interference at 2.4GHz, having a flash drive running can actually in some cases affect nearby wifi.

I'd say have a check your modem/router's administration interface, see if there's logs in there. Maybe something is upsetting it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

easiertax
Honored Guest
interesting thanks! Should also note i tried this when most activity was very low in our apartment and it still stopped working. It will basically function for the first few minutes, allow me to start downloading from the store then suddenly just stop. I don't think we're maxing our bandwidth right now, nothing super intensive going on other than emails.

easiertax
Honored Guest
Just tried again to see if a reboot did anything or if it was an isolated incident and it was not

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

Im not sure what’s going on with your wifi, but I wanted to mention that if you want to stream PCVR games with Virtual Desktop, that won’t work well with the laptop on wifi. You ideally want the PC connected by Ethernet to get acceptable performance. 

While certainly true for most people - I've had some really good luck and performance with the computer on wifi. However, I'm getting really good signal, about -50dBm to the computer and the Quest and they are the only things on the 5g. Before I adjusted things a bit and my signal was in the -60's the interface lag was a bit much with frequent stuttering. Now it's almost on par with Link - the biggest difference is there is less compression with Link and the graphics are a tiny bit clearer with no artifacts. The bonus though is of course no tether and VD seems to initiate without drama. Link in it's current form is a flip of a coin to see if it's going to work without unplugging/replugging and full restarts and muttered prayers.

easiertax
Honored Guest
Thanks Jseams, unfortunately my main issue right now is this crazy connectivity issue. I tried downloading an app from the store and at 95% it just stopped and shut the internet down. Absolutely nuts. That is the main issue I'm trying to resolve. I have like 8 - 9 devices connected throughout my home is that an issue? Also, my 5G and 2.4Ghz bands have the same pw but different SSIDs (i.e. same name but 5G next to one). Just trying to think of everything here.

easiertax
Honored Guest
Checked the connection itself and it is excellent