cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Black Screen

allycat69420
Level 2

Hi all,

I have an older version of the oculus rift, and it was bought as a family Christmas present a couple of years ago. It is not the S version, just the original oculus rift. I used to use it on occasion and it worked perfectly fine, but as of recently it has been sitting in a drawer for quite a while. I recently got a new computer and thought to set up my VR with it but I have ran into a couple of issues. Most of the problems I have been able to figure out on my own over the past couple of days, but this last problem I have not been able to find a solution for. My VR is on but it only shows a black screen. The yellow light sensor works, I have updated all drivers that I can, and I have unplugged and replugged everything, but still no screen will show up at all through the headset. I do not know if this version of the headset is just too old now or if there is anything else I can do, but some advice would be appreciated!!

Sincerely,

Someone who is very bad with technology 

2 REPLIES 2

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @allycat69420. We know PCVR issues are pretty discouraging, so we'd love to help get your Rift back up and running. 

Here's a list of a couple of things you can try: 

1. updating all USB drivers - GPU drivers 
  2. reset the display port/hdmi wire behind the faceplate 
  3. trying every USB slot available 
  4. opting into beta in oculus software 
  5. restarting oculus software 

You could also try uninstalling all of the files related to the Meta programs and reinstall for a fresh set up by:

1: Uninstalling the Rift using the setup/installer.

2: in your local disk, program files/program files x## delete the "oculus" folder.

3: go to in File Explorer, then users>your name>%appdata%.

4: in all 3 folders "Roaming", "Local" and "Local Low", delete all "Oculus" folders and also "Oculusclient" folders if present.

5: restart PC.

6: get a fresh new oculus setup installer from the oculus website and run it and install.

If these steps don't work let us know and we will be happy to help. 

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Knock-knock! Just checking in to see if those steps worked out for you. We're always here if you need help, don't hesitate to reach back out!