cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift CV1 video cards supported in 2022

Doum76
Expert Protege

Hi all!

I am finaly planning tp upgrade my computer or should i say, afetr 12 years of upgrading, to simply get a whole new one built, so aiming either a GTX 3080 series or 3090, as for now since i had my Rift, i was on a 1070 8gb.

My question is, since i can't find recent post with supported GPU, while i be able to have my Rift to work with recents GPU, or i will need to think to change VR headset sooner than i thougtht?

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Rift CV1 works perfectly with my RTX 3090 - should work perfectly with other Nvidia gpus too, like the RTX 3080.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Thanks man, was wondering, as all post on forums i found was about 1-2 years ago and people had issues with them which was obsolete infos.

You can find the full list here - the newest Nvidia and AMD gpus may still not be supported, but RTX 3090 and 3080 launched in 2020, they have been fully supported for long:

https://support.oculus.com/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-rift-s/recommended-gpu/

I'd be very careful buying any card not on that list. 2c. I still use my CV1 a lot - find my reasons here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Oculus-Rift-S-and-Rift/The-quot-Why-I-Still-Love-My-Oculus-Rift-CV1-i...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Doum76
Expert Protege

Thanks for the reply.

I did the dive eysterday, decided to have a total new machine, been upgrading gradualy overt 13 years, now was teh time to change and sine stocks of GPU finaly became available, i dicided to do the move, i went with a 3090, if it works fine if not, too bad, i'll get a new VR ehadset, just not sure which one, but id din'T wanna bottleneck my computer to keep an oldder GPU just to use my CV1. We'll see this monday/tuesday when it's ready, finger cross 🙂

Some may think I'm trying to be funny - but I'm not. The RTX 3090 really will be your CV1's best friend and a RTX 3090 is not at all wasted on the CV1. 

I'm sure you're aware of super sampling. For years I pushed my heavily oc'ed GTX 1080 to the limit by forcing the CV1 to use ss 2.0 (about 17 mill pixels per frame for both eyes combined) - the image quality drastically improved doing this. But I usually got 45 fps and ASW 2.0 was my friend. As you may know, ASW 2.0 turns 45 fps into 90 fps so well that you often don't notice the difference:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-asw-2-point-0-better-accuracy-lower-latency/

- but with the RTX 3090 I can finally enjoy all my Rift CV1 games, like Lone Echo, with maxed out in-game settings and forcing ss 2.0 in solid 90 fps. You have not truly experienced Lone Echo in all its glory before getting the 3090. 

You may find this thread interesting:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/General/TestHMD-FOV-SDE-Res-Super-Sampling-The-Rift-s-against-everyth...

Like some say, seeing is believing 😉 

Right now I'm pushing ss 2.5 with the CV1 in solid 90 fps in most games. Ss 2.0 and ss 2.5 may look like much the same number - but it's not. Ss 2.0 is about 17 mill pixels res, while ss 2.5 is a gigantic 27 mill pixels res. So ss 2.5 increases the pixel burden more than 50% and will provide you with the best CV1 image quality you can get (at least the Oculus Tray Tool does not go higher than ss 2.5). This will increase perceived sharpness of distant objects and text. Ss 2.5 is a luxury, but like a fine red wine, many connoisseurs do enjoy the ultra-fine details 😉

Btw, pushing CV1 ss 2.0 with my GTX 1080 8GB caused the game Medal of Honor: Above & Beyond to run dry of vram and crash. But no problems with the RTX 3090 due to the 24GB 😎 🤓 Right now I'm playing Asgard's Wrath using CV1 ss 2.5 - and maxed out in-game graphics settings. And why still use the old CV1 when I can Revive the game just fine using Index - but there're other deeply hidden CV1 treasures - see here:

Spoiler

Well this some good infos, once all is instal i'll check it out, as we say, i have absolutely nothing to loose and try, well except ikf all goes up in msoke.. humm 🙂

But serioudly, i will dive into these infos, tips and try for sure, onmy side it'll be such a change, can'T wait... i might had made some bad choice son the components to make the build, but we'll see, i am going from a stock :

i7-2600k / 16GB 1867MHz ram / EVGA SC GTX 1070 to:

Ryzen 9 5600x (wonder why i didn't go with a new gen Intell's, oh well, too late) / 32GB (sadly hope the 3600MHZ aren't an issue) / MSI RTX 3090 Gaming  X Trio

Still surprised i was able to run Lone Echo with this old Computosaurus almost all set high and even in space it was smooth....

In the Lone Echo graphics settings, you can activate CV1 ss 2.0 directly by setting Resolution to 2.0. If you did that there's no way a GTX 1070 would provide 90 fps - but Lone Echo supports ASW and 45 fps will look close to 90 fps in that game. 

The RTX 3090 will be an extreme game changer, lol - you'll get something like 3 times the performance you've got now. Maybe even 4 times, it'll depend on the game, ss and other settings.

oh man i wasn't at 45 FPS for sure lol but wiht an old system i got used not to have high end FPS VR or not, so, wasn'T much of a deal if i get close to FPS, i am getting use to see 30 FPS, as even when i do motion design i set stuff to 30 FPS, so i am use to this frame rate i guess.

Yeajh can't wait to see the changes, i already seen a huge change when i went from my 960/970 can't rememebr to the 1070, for now my main gmae in VR is DCS, which all around request  alot on system, GPU, CPU etc... we'll see. 🙂 My only wondering now is, if i go to change VR Headset, which one, so many different opinions etc on all forums, always simpler when there is only two competitors like HTC Vive and Rift back then, makes your head scratching a bit less painful 🙂

If you're used to CV1 for the sound, perfect tracking, full ipd - and you have money enough for the 3090 - I'd go for the Index:

https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index

Alyx is the best VR game on the planet, and the game was made for the Index and the Index controllers. 

If you're mostly into sims and don't care much about hands, the Varjo Aero might be better - or the Reverb G2. Tom also likes the Quest 2 with this 3090. 

I'd recommend starting with the CV1 and see how that goes. Index has nearly twice the res, much bigger fov (about 50% larger), and no SDE - but you lose to oled blacks.

I have both CV1 and Index connected to the same rig - the best of both worlds 😉