cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Headphones Audio Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having a small problem with my Oculus Rift headset: after I installed it, it set my default speakers to the Rift headphones.  But when I am NOT wearing the Rift, it still ports the audio to the headphones when I want it to go to my PC speakers (for example when I am playing music).  But when I set my default audio device to the PC speakers, when I wear my Rift headset the sound in-world goes to the PC speakers instead of the Rift headphones.  Having to change the default audio playback device each time before I wear the headset is a pain in the butt.  I would prefer a setup where the audio automatically goes to my headset earphones when I am wearing the Rift, and only then.  Has anybody else experienced this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?  Thanks in advance.  
5 REPLIES 5

cybereality
Grand Champion
It's supposed to be automatic. Typically you want the default Windows sound set to your speakers. When a VR app loads, it will automatically pipe the audio through the Rift headphones and then return back to your speakers after closing the app. 

Does this happen with every game? What about just the Oculus Home interface, does that at least work? It could be a particular game not handling audio correctly. If it's multiple apps, it could also be something on your system. Do you have any audio related apps or services running in the background?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will do a litle testing to see when and where the audio goes to my headphones and when it goes to my PC speakers.  I am an alpha tester for Sansar and the sound for that seems to follow whatever the default device setting is in Windows 10.  Thanks for the quick response!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Currently trying VRChat via SteamVR and the sound is currently going to my PC speakers not my Rift headphones (my default playback audio settings in Windows 10 are my PC speakers).  I will try some Oculus titles to see what happens.  

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now I'm in Altspace VR via Oculus and the sound is correctly coming in through my Rift headphones.  It works guys!  Now I know it's a developer problem.  

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK I have gone into my Settings/Audio in Steam VR and I have set them up so that I hear sound in the headset when I have the Rift on, and I am in VRChat, and when I exit the Steam VR program it returns my audio to my PC speakers when I play music.  Good thing to know!