cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift is a piece of crap

supersamsa
Honored Guest

No matter how much I try to install this thing - it keeps stalling with a black screen at start-up. Only audio works.  Logged tickets - they do not get answered.  Read all the blogs on this forum and people are complaining about the same thing?

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 card and it does not work?  Have uninstalled rebooted and re-installed. Nothing works. All software is up to date.

What a piece of crap device. 

57 REPLIES 57

Anonymous
Not applicable
Most of the time, it's something simple causing the issues.  I would clear out all Oculus files and folders, run a registry cleaner, reboot and try installing again being sure that the Rift is not plugged in.

After Oculus has finished installing, reboot and only then, try plugging in the HMD and sensor. It may make a difference which USB ports are used so trying different ports may solve detection problems. USB driver issues are more common than we realize with USB3.

In my case, the on-board USB3 Root Hub is Intel (Fresco-Logic) and is compatible with CV1 but, the Windows USB driver did not detect the Rift properly and I had issues installing the Oculus software and using controllers with CV1 once I managed to get it working.

Searching the Intel website turned up a USB driver update with it's own repair utility that solved the USB issues for me and everything has worked perfectly since then. The Oculus and sensor is now properly detected as are my controllers, and they all work fine together.

In some cases, installing an add-in PCIe USB3 card (Fresco-Logic) may be
the solution but, I still recommend installing the latest driver from
the manufacture's website (Don't rely on Windows automatic driver install).

princevince
Honored Guest
I wanted to chime in here as I did mention it in the other thread: I tried the rift with an older videocard (HD7970) and it works, although not quite as smooth as I would like. There seems to be an incompatibility with my R9 295x2 that was causing the issue. 

Lemming1970
Rising Star

I wanted to chime in here as I did mention it in the other thread: I tried the rift with an older videocard (HD7970) and it works, although not quite as smooth as I would like. There seems to be an incompatibility with my R9 295x2 that was causing the issue. 

Try turning off cross fire, Duel GPUs are not supported.
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

QSK
Explorer
Buy this-  Works fine with AMD R9 295 x2 now!   Surprising as I tried so many other cables but this one makes it work just as promised.

mbze430
Rising Star
I think most of the black screen issues is 1) head set portion of the cable needs to be reseated. 2) HDMI ports on the video card issue

Every thread I have read about black screen on this forum the fix was always 1) DVI to HDMI, or 2) DP/MiniDP to HDMI. 
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer
The replacement unit I received yesterday has an issue where the screen won't turn on most of the time.  Appears to be a cable issue.

VrSponge
Expert Protege
This might be dumb advice but are people aware that the headset doesn't turn on automatically when a user puts it on? Sometimes I put it on and the screen turns on 30-60 secs after I've waited with it on my face with no screen on. Just wanted to let people know sometimes it takes awhile.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Sounds like a software issue if it's taking that long.  Mine has only taken more than 3-4 seconds once.  That was because E:D had crashed and appeared to take half my computer's brain with it.

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer

VrSponge said:

Sometimes I put it on and the screen turns on 30-60 secs after I've waited with it on my face with no screen on. 

That shouldn't happen if Oculus Home is already loaded.  The screen should come on pretty much instantly.