cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift is a piece of crap

supersamsa
Honored Guest

No matter how much I try to install this thing - it keeps stalling with a black screen at start-up. Only audio works.  Logged tickets - they do not get answered.  Read all the blogs on this forum and people are complaining about the same thing?

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 card and it does not work?  Have uninstalled rebooted and re-installed. Nothing works. All software is up to date.

What a piece of crap device. 

57 REPLIES 57

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer
To be honest, I kinda agree with OP. the Rift has been a huge disappointment for me, coming from a DK2, the quality is only a little bit better, but the god rays are really awful, I can't even watch movies on it, il looks like wearing glasses with greasy smudges on the lenses, it's really bad. And the games are not that good either, beside Lucky's Tale, everything else I tried is kinda boring...
I am in the process to send back my Rift because it's defective, but I will ask for a refund instead. I don't really want it anymore.

QSK
Explorer
I was surprised the quality wasnt that much better than the DK2--I wanted to be wowed again like when i first put on the DK1 I suppose.  The menu features are nice, but they work with the DK2- plus no rift face....

Anonymous
Not applicable
wearing it too tight 

steveoz32
Expert Protege

Mr.Wilde said:

To be honest, I kinda agree with OP. the Rift has been a huge disappointment for me, coming from a DK2, the quality is only a little bit better, but the god rays are really awful, I can't even watch movies on it, il looks like wearing glasses with greasy smudges on the lenses, it's really bad. And the games are not that good either, beside Lucky's Tale, everything else I tried is kinda boring...
I am in the process to send back my Rift because it's defective, but I will ask for a refund instead. I don't really want it anymore.

To be fair I thought the same. After a few demos and being underwhelmed it sat on my desk for three weeks mostly collecting dust.

However, after spending some more time with it recently on House of the Dying sun, a few other nice demos I found and the cool VR social app, I am now convinced it is the way forward.

The DK2 is heavier, less comfortable, has a terrible sweet spot for the lenses, and although initially I was disappointed with the apparent SDE, it's clear it is far better and in a lot of software it disappears and does not leave me with grid eye at night when trying to sleep like the DK2 did.

Also tracking is smoother, and the 90FPS is definitely much better than the 60 for motion sickness, although motion sickness can still be an issue in FP games.

Overall it is a much better product, and with more content on the way + touch it is going to be a good year for VR.

SgtFury
Honored Guest
Update your display drivers.  I was setting mine up yesterday, and had a similar issue.  I updated my nvidia drivers, rebooted, and it worked.(I have a GTX980 as well)  YMMV

fredcallagan
Explorer
Just for whoever is having the same problem. My videocard is an MSI R9 295X2 and I needed a mini displayport to HDMI adapter. Tried 8 different models and I can confirm that I found 1 single model that worked so far. Here is a list of models i tested and DID NOT WORK AT ALL:

Mini DP Adapter, [4-in-1 Adapter DP 1.2 Version/4Kx2K], Rankie Mini DisplayPort (ThunderboltTM Port ...

CSL - 4K Ultra HD Mini Displayport to HDMI Adapter with audio transmission | certified | for Apple /...

Sold by: Your IT Delivered (Combined with a displayport to mini display port)

Also tried the CAC-1170 that is an actual mini display port to HDMI from Club3d and did not work as well.

StarTech Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Audio - Black

Mini Displayport To HDMI Adapter Cable For Apple Macbook, Macbook Pro, Imac, Macbook Air, Mac Mini L...

Mini DP to HDMI, Rankie® Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (ThunderboltTM Port Compatible) MiniDP to HDMI...

So avoid all the adapters above non of them worked, some had strange pink/green lines on the image and the rest just did not turn on at all. The Club3d one was displaying and the image was going off every 1 or 2 seconds.

NOW GOING TO THE ONE THAT MATTERS AND DID WORK PERFECTLY:

Cable Matters® Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt™ Port Compatible) to HDMI Male to Female Ad...

This one is the only one I found here in the UK that does work perfectly at least with my R9 295X2.

Now I'm back to packing up 7 returns for the non working ones.

Good luck and enjoy the rift

Teddybearsrifti
Honored Guest
I,m Sorry to say after 2 years of waiting and saving ive had a similar miserable time with this nightmare. 30 years of building my own pc's (Since the Spectrum 48k!) I have never come across such an Abysmal Software setup and procedure as this has been. Since the hateful "Steam" system of doing thing arrived.

5 Fing DAYS! 4-5 hours a day  Ive been trying to get it to work properly to no avail. most of the valuable time spent reading forums here and abroad.

I,m a day away from selling mine on E Bay due to lack of answers and support in plian english, to some other deluded & misled mug like i was. and At no point during my hundreds of pages of "help" have i read just WHERE your supposed to put the "Runtimes" whatever they are? or how a folder structure should look.

There are far too many self professed "Tech heads" on here who have nothing but contempt for ANYONE daring to not have "THE KNOWLEDGE".
 That was the excuse (and sales warning) for the DK2 wasn't it?, OK, There's no such excuse for the alleged CV1 (Commercial Version, plug and play for the ignorant masses right?)

Wrong! this is every bit as bad as the DK2 set up ever was, and WHERE do they get off in selling out so quickly and betraying ALL the LOYAL pre order buyers of the DK2 originally? (You know the ones who funded the f##ing thing from the beginning and made it all possible?)

Gotta love the continuous blu line at the top of every switch on "Your DK2 is not supported and probably wont work anyway so piss off and thanks for the support you mugs"

AND I bet you can't wait to rush out and que up overnight to buy the CV2. CV3, CV4<CV% etc etc etc 

Worst Software in Modern history, 

Anonymous
Not applicable
OP Rage Quit and never came back to see all of this wonderful advice. Shame. I'm willing to bet He just never put it on his head and nothing was wrong with it.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
Piece of crap? It's fricken glorious. Objectively speaking! Mythos of the World Axis is the only poop experience I've seen. It needs a update or something. Very low res and the (a) button is supposed to be jump but all that works besides the lft analog to move,  is the right analog stick which does seemingly random things  depending on how you turn it.
Everything else is perfect  except for a strange curtain of a red tinted image in 1/3 of the left eye under certain dark scene conditions.

pertm
Protege
FFS stop blaming OR just because you have a shitty pc, see it all the time OR sucks because of this and this and 8 times out of 10 it is peoples own fault. F.king PC/IT mongols out there