cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift "A key component of SteamVR isn't working properly"

Feriatus
Honored Guest
I am having trouble launching Steam VR with the Oculus rift. 

I did enable Unkown Sources in Oculus Rift software. When I launch Steam it detects VR headset and steam suggest me to install SteamVR drivers. But when I install them and launch SteamVR I get the message "Hmm, that shouldn't have happened. A key component of SteamVR isn't working properly. SteamVR Not Ready" And then greyed out icons of HTC Vive components. 
Oculus rift works well with Oculus app games. 
Can you please advice how to launch it with steam VR.
6 REPLIES 6

VRRabbit
Protege
Are you trying to launch a game from Steam using VR or the actual Steam VR ?
If you are trying to run a VR game that you have on steam and you have the Oculus Runtime 1.3 and the Oculus store installed on your computer. The best way is to navigate to the exe of the game in steam on windows 10 it would be Program files(x86) ->steam->steamapps->common->the game folder; and then run the .exe associated with the game. In your oculus you will see the health warning that you have to agree to and then once you do the game should start. If it is DCS world the you need to run the run.exe in the DCSworld folder. Most other games have a batch file you can run within the folder. Once you find the file that activates the rift just make a shortcut to that file and put it on the desktop.

sympodius
Protege
I've been having the same problem (https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33979/steamvr-not-working-with-cv1-error-301-a-key-co...). I realise, as VRRabbit pointed out, that I can bypass steamVR to some extent and run games manually. However, people seem to be using the Rift CV1 with SteamVR as well, so I guess it just annoys me a little that I can't.

Feriatus
Honored Guest
Hi I found out how to fix it. You need to run Steam in Administrator mode. It fixed the problem for me.

sympodius
Protege
Glad you found a solution, Feriatus. Sadly it didn't work for me, but glad someone else got round the issue :smile: 

FishNChisps
Explorer
try going to %appdata%/Local search for openvr and delete it then restart steamvr

orimit
Honored Guest
still having this problem, dont know what to do