cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift using wrong graphics card

szuperabel
Honored Guest

I've recently plugged my Oculus Rift (Not Rift S) headset on my laptop, but there's a slight issue. This laptop has an RTX 3050 laptop GPU, 8 GB RAM, a AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, and a Radeon integrated graphics card. The problem is that it says that my setup doesn't meet the basic requirements, and everything is lagging so much. The problem is that my Oculus is using the wrong grapichs card (i think). I've looked at many different sollutions to fix it, but non of theese have worked for me. I tried forcing the Nvidia Control Panel to use my RTX 3050, but it's still using the wrong one. I also tried to do it in the Windows settings, and the task manager, but none of those have worked. My guess that the HDMI conenction is going to my integrated graphics card, forcing the headset to choose that. Any fixes? My laptop is a ROG Strix G15 G513

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That card isn't recommended because it's not entirely compatible with the Oculus app. You may want to temporarily disable the integrated graphics card and see if it helps, but it's not guaranteed.  

Kudos, kudos and more kudos!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JamBox88
Retired Support

Hey @szuperabel! Everything seems good so far. Can you tell me the specs of the Radeon integrated card? 

It's a Radeon RX Vega 7.  And here's a link where all the specs are: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-vega-7.c3833

Are you sure about the GPU? Asus list various model of G15-G513 but they all have either a 1650 or 3060 GPU acording to the specs at this page. The 3060 should be just about OK but the 1650 is below spec. The 3050 is also technically below-spec but it's listed as not recommended rather than not compatible according to this.

A brief Google also suggests that the GPU on the G15 outputs on one of the USB-C ports rather than the HDMI. Perhaps you could buy an adapter.

szuperabel
Honored Guest

Yes, I'm sure about that. The Geforce Experience also says that my GPU is VR compatable. And on my PC I'm running a Radeon RX 560 and it's working much better than on my laptop at the moment. However it could be better on my laptop. Here's a screenshot: https://prnt.sc/2jx_snkth-SX (sry that its in hungarian, but you can see everything you need). And here's a screenshot of the PC specs: https://prnt.sc/OstNQthpaZ0Q (sry agin that its in hungarian, but you can see that it's 3050)

Best bet would be the USBC to HDMI adapter then, but check I'm actually right about the video output first.

@szuperabel, sadly the NVIDIA 3050 and 3050Ti isn't compatible with the Oculus app. Here's a link with more details on it's compatibility. Thanks for sending your information!

So, does that mean that I can't use that GPU?

That card isn't recommended because it's not entirely compatible with the Oculus app. You may want to temporarily disable the integrated graphics card and see if it helps, but it's not guaranteed.  

Apologies, I was looking at the Quest Link and Airlink GPU compatibility. I'm not sure Meta still publishes compatibility lists for the Rift. Even the Rift-S page only goes up to the GTX1080. Does the connection not work at all? The PCVR app often tells you that your hardware is incompatible but lets you use it anyway. If you get that USBC adapter, you'll know for sure.