cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Bahamut88 said:

I'm guessing the end solution will be to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing, complete with shiny new driver signage and hopefully some much needed hole patching so that this doesn't happen again.

Actually... now that I see that changing the system clock works, we can probably all do that in order to let the program download the latest update.

We'll probably be instructed to set out clocks to a specific Day and Time, launch OH, and let the Installer run.

christopher_phe
Explorer
Currently Reinstalling Right now to see if it changes anything

Anonymous
Not applicable

GeekyGami said:

andy0189 said:

Bahamut88 said:

Zenbane said:

Bahamut88 said:

This would get fixed a lot faster if they just provided a DL for a new certificate so we can renew it ourselves, it's not hard. Instead we're at their mercy.

Have you read the posts of some of these folks? It would not just be hard, it would be astronomically improbable for some. Half of them would try printing out the Certificate, Framing it, and wondering why the Rift doesn't see it.

I get the joke and all, but not everyone is as tech savvy as others. Oculus is just looking for a more elegant and streamlined solution, which will be interesting to see since the software can't run as it is, hopefully it won't require a re-set up of the whole suite.

I’m not a software programmer just a tech enthusiast but I can only imagine a new setup.exe is in the works. Make everyone uninstall then reinstall with the new setup file? Just my thoughts 

Just the thought of downloading installation for another 2 hours after fix is out
*Shivers*

2 hours! Lol everyone trying to download at the same time try like 30 hours lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
This shouldn't take so long to fix. If its a simple certificate block all you need to do is access the code of the software update it and push it out as a update patch. This is unacceptable to let happen with a company position. This is poor support and pour business. This stuff is unacceptable in any field 

DeviliveD666
Protege

Zenbane said:

Bahamut88 said:

I'm guessing the end solution will be to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing, complete with shiny new driver signage and hopefully some much needed hole patching so that this doesn't happen again.

Actually... now that I see that changing the system clock works, we can probably all do that in order to let the program download the latest update.

We'll probably be instructed to set out clocks to a specific Day and Time, launch OH, and let the Installer run.

Would be a solution... that was doable when update 2 was announced....

Ares_The_Madman
Protege

iaccol said:

andy0189 said:

iaccol said:

andy0189 said:

I think everyone needs to calm down! It will be ok! Be thankful we even have VR at all. Jeez people on here acting like it’s the end of the world. I promise you life will continue on!

When you pay as much as you do for everything, it gets annoying. But when Oculus' ENTIRE clientele is left in the dark as to how to fix it? Thats when everyone gets pissed. Especially over something this stupid.

I understand that I payed just as much you did for it but unfortunately we are at the hands of the company. Look they know they messed up and I’m sure they will find a way to make it right for all of us so in the mean time sit back relax and enjoy another form of technology. 

At this point it's not even about playing on Rift (at least for me). It's been how long? All i want is an ETA, but every single one of their "updates" have been "We're working on it". When every single one of your products that you've sold (which is a shit-ton) does not work, and you cannot provide any form of reassurance, you have an awful company.

Well you see, either Oculus could spend their time trying to explain the step by step process of how to fix the problem to people who most likely wouldn't even understand what they're even talking about, or they could spend their time actually fixing it. These updates are to let everyone know that they are still working on the issue. They know more about their own product and company, and how to fix these issues, than almost everyone on here. This is clearly an issue that takes time to resolve, and unfortunately, as much as everyone would love to believe, it takes more than just a click of a button. Especially when, as you stated, "every single one of their products that they've sold does not work.

Bahamut88
Protege

Zenbane said:

Bahamut88 said:

Or prob a simple installer that patches the exe with the correct certifcation, thats how I would do it anyway.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

1amRambo said:

This stuff is unacceptable in any field 

Unacceptable... yet so common. Like car accidents.

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

Bahamut88 said:

Remember that we can still run the installer program without changing the clock, that is what its there for, once you hit the "Repair" button it will do what the Oculus app does in the background -> look for the most up to date release of the runtime then download and install <-

It is basically a workaround if your Oculus client fails to boot after an update and then they release a new update to fix it and you need to force that installation.
Specs: - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM

DeviliveD666
Protege

Bahamut88 said:

Zenbane said:

Bahamut88 said:

Or prob a simple installer that patches the exe with the correct certifcation, thats how I would do it anyway.

Sure that would be usable by anyone (knowing the installer) and would not require a huge download...
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?