cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

GroovyMonster
Protege

MrKaru said:

Just going to mention that I got this problem the other day again, too. I just went to the services tab, in my task manager, and changed it from "stop" to "start", but it was weird that it happened at all. My first thought was "Oh no, not again"

Same thing just happened to me today (getting the "Can’t Reach Oculus Runtime Service" error), and my Rift has been fine and I've NEVER seen this error message until just now.

Had to reboot earlier and went to start my Rift and this error popped up. Did what you said above (thanks for the tip!), and sure enough, for whatever weird reason(!), the services tab showed that my Oculus Runtime Service was stopped. So I hit restart, and now it starts up and seems to be OK. Again, I've never had this problem until just now. Really don't know why everything seems to be so messed up and wonky of late for so many of us. 😞

sddjd
Honored Guest
Same here- into a SECOND day of nonstop troubleshooting with a brand new product and now seeing the "Can't reach oculus....." error message AFTER applying the patch (not to mention several 4gb downloads for worthless reinstalls). 

So, Oculus states resolved... not so much apparently. 

al-Haq
Explorer
I can confirm that I am now getting this error msg again. I was running Elite Dangerous VR via Oculus Home until 15:10 GMT today 19/03/2018. I just tried to run Oculus Home a few times to get logged back in, from 16:10-16:25 GMT 19/03/2018 and "Can't Reach Oculus Runtime Service" has raised its ugly little head once more.

EDIT:
Checked Windows 10 running services with Task Manager which indicated OVRService was "Stopped". Manually started OVRService with admin account and everything seems to functioning as it should now, even after full system restart!. I do not understand what stopped the OVRService from running, as I performed the usual software and Windows shutdown with no reports of issues!

JQuinn74
Protege
I've been having this problem for the past two weeks - Windows 10 system doesn't appear to have RiftDisplay.inf installed. which is causing my black screen issue. Been dealing with OVRServiceLaucher errors as well. I submitted a ticket and now I'm waiting.

Stryder13
Honored Guest
"Can’t Reach Oculus Runtime Service" error all over again since yesterday

MrKaru
Adventurer

Stryder13 said:

Going to the services tab and manually starting it worked for me the one time it happened since the cert error. 

Kizzaleet
Honored Guest
Well my rift didn't work for ages so I put it back in the box. Finally got an email saying its been fixed and I would get $15 credit, nope I didn't. Spoke to support a few times and keep saying no. Even though I sent a screenshot showing I had the error window popping up on the last day of the cut off window! Please help me.

al-Haq
Explorer

MrKaru said:

Stryder13 said:

Going to the services tab and manually starting it worked for me the one time it happened since the cert error. 

I did same, everything good now!

kinetix87
Explorer
today started my rift bam same damn error we had a while ago with runtime services I gave it a repair hope it will fix the problem finger cross

kinetix87
Explorer
 repair fix my problem so hope I got rid of it for good :"D

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?